Members of the Arabic Language Student Association dance an Arab folk circle dance called dabke at Arabian Night in Baker Ballroom on Feb. 25, 2016. 

Fourth Annual Arabian Night showcases Arab art

The Arabic Language Student Association hosted its fourth annual Arabian Night on Thursday evening catered by Restaurant Salaam. The theme was “Art of the Arab World.”

There are few opportunities to sample several different dishes from Restaurant Salaam for only $7 and experience a piece of Arabic culture on the same night.

About 300 people at Baker Ballroom were able to enjoy this opportunity at Arabian Night on Thursday.

The Arabic Language Student Association, which consists of 20 students, hosted the fourth annual Arabian Night to a sold-out crowd set to the theme of “Art of the Arab World,” which focused on poems, music, dance and pictures relating to Arabian culture.

There are 22 different Arab nations, which are located in the Middle East and north Africa. Some Arab countries include Egypt, Iraq and Syria.

President of the Arabic Language Student Association Garret Bigley announced a raffling off of students’ paintings, and all the proceeds will go to Syrian refugees.

“We give everyone the gist that this event is not solely to eat Restaurant Salaam and watch us do a couple dances,” Bigley said. “We are making money on this event to contribute to Syrian refugees that have been displaced. And I think that’s a beautiful thing.”

Bigley said the organization is not expecting a lot of money for the cause, but will know how much the group raises after spring break.

Riley Doherty, a freshman studying political science, started the performances for the night with a poem she recited in Arabic. Members of the Arabic Language Student Association performed a fashion show, portraying traditional Arabian clothing. Jamie Moriarty sang “Craziness,” an Arabic song, and Hams Kashoob recited a poem in Arabic called “Grenada.”

Seven members of the Arabic Language Student Association gathered at the front of the room and began the traditional dabke dance, a dance originally from eastern Mediterranean countries such as Jordan. The dance included leg movements and stomping to a fast beat.

“We had our initial reservations about the dance,” Bigley said. “It really pulled together.”

Fnu Irma, a second-year graduate student studying Asian studies, said she really liked the dance.

“I learn a lot about other countries without having to visit them,” she said. “I think it’s very useful for creating relationships.”

After the Dabke dance, Hashim Pashtun announced the new vice president of International Student Union, Alena Klimas. He announced upcoming events after spring break students and faculty should attend: Pride Week, a Persian Concert and International Women’s Day.

Sara Al-Harrasi, Omani Student Association’s first female president, recited a poem called “Humble.”

Organization Stand Against Genocide urged attendees to sign a petition in order to help Syrian refugees get an education at OU.

Restaurant Salaam catered the event and served grilled chicken kabob, dolmas (grape leaves), baklava and megadarra (lentils and rice).

Victoria Fox, a senior studying military and physical therapy sciences, said she had never been to Salaam before, but now might have to visit.

“It is important be able to experience other cultures because we kind of get stuck in our own little bubble here,” Fox said.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="cb483ed4-dbd4-11e5-85d3-5f3c55a1043f"}}

The event ended with the Arabic Language Student Association announcing raffle ticket winners, and music invitations for children and students to dance.

“I would say the main takeaway of Arabian Night … is delicious food and performances,” Bigley said. “But below that is definitely cultural understanding and bringing people together that would otherwise not be brought together and it’s a good thing.”

@jess_hillyeah

jh240314@ohio.edu