Sophie Kruse

Gamer Girl: Small technological improvements make daily life much easier

It can be humbling to think about the things, like a weather app, we use on a daily basis that make our lives simpler.

Growing up as a millennial, I think a lot of us take for granted some of the great things we currently have in our lives as a result of improvements in technology. I’m not talking about specific technology gains — like fun devices, gaming technology or gadgets that we use every day. I’m talking about services and apps that are available to us because of those improvements.

Just think of the little things you’ve done this week — did you order food online? Check the weather on your phone? File your taxes on the Internet? Live tweet the Grammys? Though it may seem silly to look at those kinds of things, it’s amazing to think about what kind of advances we’ll have in five, 10, 20 years.

It can be humbling to think about the things we use on a daily basis that make our lives simpler. Every morning, I check the weather on my phone and check the bus tracker for my apartment complex that tells me if the bus route is on track. I transfer money to my bank account using the Chase app. I use the TV Guide app to check what’s on TV.

Though I generally find those to be essential parts of my day, those are things that aren’t necessary, but make my daily life much easier. Can you imagine a day without them?

The fun thing about growing up in our generation is not only growing up with all of the tech advances, but also being the generation that will be creating things even more in-depth and useful. Can you imagine what we’ll have next? (I hope it’s 20-minute delivery Mexican food, complete with a margarita). 

Although they’re not high-tech advances, those things almost can have more of an impact on our lives. Don’t take them for granted because they probably make your life easier than a lot of the more recent, newer tech growths.

Sophie Kruse is a senior studying journalism. What are some of your favorite uses of tech in your daily life? Email her at sk139011@ohio.edu