Sophie Kruse

Gamer Girl: Some celebrity-backed apps are pointless, but others are fun and have a purpose

Columnist Sophie Kruse discusses apps created by celebrities.

If you’ve opened the App Store, checked social media or even glanced at a pop culture blog in the past week, you’ve probably noticed that there’s another app out there from the Kardashian/Jenner clan. This time, it’s Kendall and Kylie with their own game, creatively titled "Kendall and Kylie."

I’ll save you a download: The game allows you to create a cartoon version of yourself. You spend time doing different tasks and jobs throughout the city and try to build up your online followers. It’s essentially a carbon copy of “Kim Kardashian: Hollywood,” except for a few changes that are probably only there to prove it’s a different game. You play the game vertically on your screen, not horizontally, and you’re trying to gather followers, not fans. 

I can see the appeal for some people. It's a quick way to pass the time and if you’re a fan of the Kardashians and the Jenners, it’s another way to show your love. However, I feel like they didn’t even try to make a new and innovative way to make money through the app. They just created a replica of an already popular game created by their big sister. And that’s exactly what the app is trying to do for the girls: be a cash cow.

There are plenty of celebrities who have their own games or apps that are done in a much more productive way. Though I’m not trying to argue that making money isn’t one of their main motives for launching them, some are disguised a little bit better and might bring you more satisfaction.

There are, of course, the apps that turn you into a spitting image of the celebrity, like "Snoopify" or “I Am T-Pain 2.0.” In those, you can alter your appearance or your voice, respectively, and they will have you looking like one of the rappers. Although it isn’t anything hugely innovative, it is a fun way to waste time and might give you something funny to show your friends.

The next app isn’t for huge fans of the actor, but it is a neat app that’s simply created by Tom Hanks. “Hanx Writer” turns your keyboard into one that resembles a classic typewriter, complete with the sounds. It’s a quirky app that would be fun if you need a little bit of change in your device.

Apparently Taylor Swift has her own greeting card app, but I can’t seem to find it in the app store (some sources say it’s a Google Play exclusive). Though that would be kind of corny for everyday life, I could see it being a cute idea. Who wouldn’t appreciate a joyful greeting card designed by Queen Taylor to make their day?

And, of course, the supreme reigning celebrity app ever to have been created is Ellen Degeneres’ “Head’s Up.” If you haven’t played it, it’s a fun party game where you take turns guessing from a number of different categories. The game is essential for you to have on your phone because it’s useful in so many situations — hanging out at home, waiting for your movie to start or with your family at the holidays.

Sophie Kruse is a senior studying journalism. What are your favorite celebrity apps? Email her at sk139011@ohio.edu