Peter Nakos

Golf Column: Ohio needs to invest more in its golf program

Both the men's and women's teams have the opportunity this year to win the MAC Championship, but improvements, such as a new course, could be the key to winning a championship. 

The Ohio men’s and women’s golf teams kicked off their spring season last week in Mid-American Conference Match Play. 

Each team performed as expected and will improve throughout the season, but one thing won't change: Ohio won't have a home course that can be used to hold events. 

If Ohio wants to continue to bolster its golf programs, improvement needs to be made. 

Currently, Athens Country Club — a nine-minute drive from The Convo — is Ohio's home course.

The course is used for practice, but it isn't capable of hosting matches for Ohio, according to Bob Cooley, the men's coach.

The Athens campus has a 9-hole, par 35 course on South Green. 

The golf program, however, does not use the course on campus for practice because it is only 9-holes, opposed to the 18-holes offered at Athens Country Club.

It uses Walter Fieldhouse in the winter months to practice swings on the turf with netting. 

Multiple teams in the MAC, including rivals Bowling Green and Miami, have their own golf course. 

Obviously, financial barriers can hinder a team's ability to have its own course.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="1029a93e-cf82-11e5-8e29-7f1eced6c792"}}

Neither the men’s nor the women’s team have won the MAC Championship in more than 10 years.  

The closest either have come was the women’s team last year, when it started off the tournament in first place and finished in fourth.

Maybe if Ohio had a better golf course to use, more recruits would come to Athens and the program could better its chances at winning a MAC Championship.  

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu