Ohio senior forward Michael Harris tries to handle the puck through the legs of Illinois freshman defender Tyler Opilka during a game on Feb. 5 at Bird Arena.

Hockey: Six Bobcats named in annual league awards

Six Ohio skaters received league honors Tuesday morning. 

The 2015-16 Central States Collegiate Hockey League awards were announced Tuesday, and six Ohio skaters were on the list of those honored.

Forwards Joey Breslin and Michael Harris, along with defenseman Mike LaFrenier, were named to the CSCHL's second team All-League. Breslin (44 points) and Harris (40 points) led the Bobcats in scoring this season, and LaFrenier (24 points) led Ohio defensemen in scoring.

The league's all-rookie team had forward Matt Rudin and defenseman Grant Hazel. Rudin (18 goals) is tied for second on the team in goals and Hazel (55 penalty minutes) is second in penalty minutes.

Forward Matt Hartman was named to the all-defensive team. Hartman, Ohio's second-line center, is the team's top penalty killer. He also leads the team with 10 power play goals.

Breslin and Harris received first team all-league honors last season, with Harris also being named MVP. The Bobcats had two players on the all-defensive team, graduated seniors Mike Kretz and Tyler Benson, but no mentions on the all-rookie team.

The Bobcats finished second in the league's regular season and tournament standings. They enter the ACHA National Tournament on March 4 as the No. 7-seed.

@JordanHorrobin 

jh950614@ohio.edu