Kiser's Barbeque recently applied for a liquor license. 

Kiser's Barbeque applies for liquor license, Athens officials concerned about liquor saturation

Kiser's Barbeque is applying for a liquor license and wants to serve local alcohol.

Ohio University was voted Playboy's No. 1 party school for a number of reasons: the annual Halloween Block Party, the numerous spring fests and the fact that many Athens establishments sell alcohol.

Despite opposition from some city officials, another local restaurant soon may join in the ranks.

Kiser’s Barbeque, 1002 E. State St., recently applied for a D5B liquor license, which would push the city over its quota for that type of license, according to records from the Ohio Department of Commerce.

Owner Sean Kiser said the decision to apply came after he realized his establishment legally was allowed to serve alcohol.

“We came to find out that because we’re in an enclosed shopping mall, there’s actually a license that allows for enclosed stores like ours to get a liquor license,” Kiser said.  “Our landlord found that out and actually brought it to us, and we thought we’d go for it.”

Kiser intends to feature local products and said liquor will compliment the restaurant's already popular barbecue.

“We want to have small selection of beer, but we’ll do a couple of different drafts,” he said. “We definitely want to capitalize on local breweries, like Jackie O’s. Featuring local products is always great for both parties."

Although the acquisition of a liquor license might benefit Kiser’s, Athens officials are far from enthusiastic at the thought of having another liquor-serving establishment. 

Athens City Councilwoman Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward, said Athens is already over its liquor license quota and that the state has been ignorant toward the issue for a while.

“We’ve indicated to the state numerous times that we’re over quota,” Fahl said.  “You can go online to the Ohio ABC website and see it.”

According to Fahl, the city has little say over which establishments receive licenses.  

“Athens doesn’t have much control over it,” Fahl said. “It’s all up to the state.”

Last year, Athens City Council tried to request a hearing regarding the state's decision to grant Chipotle Mexican Grill a D5 liquor license. Despite dissent from many council members, the popular uptown establishment began serving alcohol later in 2015.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="b63333ac-49c4-11e5-a5e7-7fb27433236f"}}

Despite the quota issue, Kiser hasn’t run into trouble with obtaining licenses yet.

“We turned in all of our stuff to the Division of Liquor about 2 weeks ago,” he said. “We haven’t run into any real issues so far.”

Emily Spry, an undecided freshman, said having another liquor-serving establishment would continue to hurt the reputation of both OU and Athens.

“I think it’s a problem because OU is already a party school, and the addition of another place that would sell liquor would add to the party environment,” Spry said.

@Jonny_Palermo

jp351014@ohio.edu