Jaaron Simmons looks for an open teammate during the Ohio's game against Northern Illinois University on Feb. 6 at The Convo. The Bobcats won the game 80-69. (FILE)

MAC Notebook: Four teams are chasing the No. 1 seed in the MAC

Four teams are still in contention for the Mid-American Conference No. 1 seed. 

The Mid-American Conference race is heating up with just two weeks to go in MAC play. Four teams remain in the hunt to capture the regular-season championship and secure the No. 1 seed in the MAC Tournament.

Remaining in first place in the MAC, despite losing two out of its last three games, is Akron (21-6, 10-5 MAC).  

Heading into its matchup Tuesday at Miami, the Zips are looking to stay ahead of Ohio, Kent State and Ball State. Those three teams are just one game behind Akron for first place in the MAC.

After starting 4-5 in MAC play this season, Ohio (18-8, 9-5 MAC) has won five consecutive MAC games to pull within a game of Akron.  The Bobcats’ offense, which has been the team’s strength all season, is scoring nearly 82 points a game during their five game win streak.

Another reason for Ohio’s success has been the play of forward Antonio Campbell.  This season Campbell is currently third in the MAC in scoring (18 points per game) and second in rebounds (10 rebounds per game.)

Ohio travels to Akron next Tuesday, and that game could decide not only the winner of the MAC East, but also determine who gets the No. 1 seed in the conference tournament.

Kent State (18-9, 9-5 MAC) also finds itself just one game behind Akron in the MAC standings with two weeks to go in the regular season.  

After the Golden Flashes struggled at the beginning of February, losing three out of four games, they have turned things around by winning their last two games, which includes a victory over Akron last Friday.

Junior forward Jimmy Hall has lead the way for Kent during conference play, averaging 16 points and eight rebounds per contest.  

If the Golden Flashes win their next three games, they would travel to Akron in the regular season finale with a chance to win the conference and get a high seed in the MAC tournament. That's if Ohio loses out, as the Bobcats hold a tie-breaker over the Golden Flashes. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="18f8e1da-d98f-11e5-8dfe-f3b3393e7309"}}

The team on the top of the MAC West standings is Ball State (18-9, 9-5 MAC).  The Cardinals have a two-game lead in the West and appear to have the division locked up and now have their sights set on winning the MAC regular season crown.

The Cardinals have the number one defense in the MAC, holding opponents to 68 points per game. 

With the MAC tournament on March 9, these final four games in teams' schedules could go a long way to determine which teams are best suited to make a deep run come postseason and win the conference tournament championship.

@R_DiPaola16

rd340812@ohio.edu