Ohio's Wadly Mompremier goes in for a layup during a game against Northern Illinois University on Feb. 6, 2016 at the Convocation Center. The Bobcats won the game 80-69. 

Men's Basketball: Simmons dazzles late, leads the Bobcats over Northern Illinois

Simmons contributes 24 points and 12 assists in a back-and-forth match against Northern Illinois.

Ohio’s offense was stagnant and the shots simply weren’t falling anymore.

The Bobcats were on their way to letting the Huskies sneak back into the game and make for another Mid-American Conference battle that would go down to the final ticks of the game clock.

Instead, Ohio guard Jaaron Simmons rattled off a run to remember.

After Ohio squandering a 16-point lead to start the second half, Simmons contributed on every point but one in Ohio’s final 16-4 run and finished with a double-double in a 80-69 victory over Northern Illinois.

“I just didn’t want to lose really,” he said after recording 24 points and 12 assists. “Whatever I had to do whether that meant passing to an open teammate, or get a bucket, or get to the line, I had to do it.”

Down one with 3:24 to go, Simmons came off forward Antonio Campbell’s screen, assessed how far away he was from the basket and hit an unusually deep 3-pointer for a player who looks to slash and score near the basket.

The next possession, after Ohio forward Kenny Kaminski blocked Huskies guard Michael Orris sending him sprawling out of bounds, the Bobcats had a five-on-four break in transition.

Simmons corralled an outlet pass and after just a couple of rapid dribbles, found guard Jordan Dartis, who was spotting up on the sideline, and fired a pass to Dartis just before reaching halfcourt.

The 3-pointer gave Dartis his 17th point and put Ohio ahead 72-67.

“Jordan was the right guy at the right place at the right time and we needed him,” Ohio coach Saul Phillips said.

Simmons said he always looks for his shooters — Kaminski and Dartis — in transition and that it only takes a couple of tenths of a second to make a connection.

After a Northern Illinois layup, Simmons routinely swiveled his way off another Campbell pick and roll, but this time slotted a no-look bounce pass to the rolling Campbell who finished with a reverse layup that put Ohio (14-8, 5-5 MAC) ahead by six.

Following a Huskies turnover, Simmons took his man one-on-one and knocked down a mid-range jump shot at the top of the key to give the Bobcats a 77-69 lead.

“Simmons took the game over,” Northern Illinois coach Mark Montgomery said. “I thought that was the difference.”

Phillips admitted Simmons is a huge difference-maker for the Bobcats and he tries his hardest not to take him for granted. Phillips said he even keeps a journal to write down the things he’s thankful for and that Simmons is on just about every page.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="f5e6f256-cb5e-11e5-83e6-d3dd57854bc0"}}

“I’m gonna let everyone in on a little secret, Jaaron Simmons is pretty good,” Phillips said. “He just had that look in his eye like, ‘We’re not losing today. It’s just not happening.’”

Simmons is now averaging just under a double-double a game for the Bobcats (14 points, eight assists).

“Great programs have great point guards and we have a great point guard,” Philips said. I’d pay to watch him play. He’s the quintessential leader. If you’re in a tough spot, you want Jaaron on your side.”

@NKairys

nk596613@ohio.edu