Ohio welcomes both Duquesne and Xavier to Athens this weekend for a duel meet at 1 p.m. Saturday. The Bobcats won 11 of 14 events in their last meet against Denison on Jan. 7. 

Swimming and Diving: Ohio sits in seventh after first day of competition at the MAC championship

In the 200-yard medley relay, Ohio’s team of Addison Ferguson, Mackenzie Hornstra, Laura Dawson and Corrin Van Lanen finished in sixth place with a time of 1:41.43.

Day one of the Mid-American Conference swimming and diving championship featured two relay races that went toward the teams' final scores.

After two events, Ohio sits in seventh place overall with 50 points. Akron leads the standings with 74 points. There are 12 teams competing. 

In the 200-yard medley relay, Ohio’s team of Addison Ferguson, Mackenzie Hornstra, Laura Dawson and Corrin Van Lanen finished in sixth place with a time of 1:41.43. Akron captured the win and set a new meet record in the process with a time of 1:37.28.

The sixth-place finish earned the Bobcats 26 points toward their total score.

In the 800-yard freestyle relay, Ohio's Laura Dawson, Kimberly Zehnder, Ana Henderson and Josie Barker finished seventh with a time of 7:27.14. Buffalo won the race with a time of 7:13.83.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="24e86be2-bef9-11e5-a133-6f39b2cb9d11"}}

Ohio earned 24 points with the seventh-place finish.

The MAC Championship will resume Thursday with the 500-yard freestyle, the 200-yard individual medley and the 50-yard freestyle.

Preliminaries are set to begin at 11 a.m. Finals will begin at 7 p.m. and can be watched live on ESPN3.

@spencerholbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu