Kimberly Zehnder passed on her qualification for NBC's The Voice to swim for OU.

Swimming and Diving: OU's Kimberly Zehnder declines opportunity to sing on 'The Voice' to swim at Ohio

Ohio's Kimberly Zehnder has a powerful singing voice that qualified her for a spot on The Voice in 2014. 

The crowd at the Aquatic Center was silent. Ohio and Marshall were set to square off Nov. 13.

As with most traditional sporting events, the National Anthem had to be played before the meet could begin.

Then, Ohio's Kimberly Zehnder grabbed the microphone and started singing.

“When Kim sings, you stop and listen,” coach Rachel Komisarz-Baugh said.

After Zehnder's performance of "The Star Spangled Banner," a thunderous applause spread throughout the Aquatic Center.

Zehnder, a freshman originally from Louisville, Kentucky, qualified for NBC's The Voice in 2014.

The Voice is a singing competition where contestants are selected after blind auditions. It is judged by celebrities such as Christina Aguilera and Adam Levine. 

Yet, Zehnder chose to swim in Athens, because, to her, an "education was the more logical path" for her life.

Because of the show's rules, she was unable to do both. 

Zehnder said participating in the show had specific conditions that needed to be met. Zehnder didn't disclose how much work the show required her to do but said there "were many limitations" to performing for the weekly-aired show. 

“It was like giving up a college swimming career and an education for a few years, which when you’re that young, is a very big decision to put on your shoulders,” Zehnder said.

Although it’s not for a recording contract or a massive amount of money, Zehnder still gets to compete when swimming for the Bobcats. She swims freestyle and backstroke.

Zehnder said though she decided to take the route of swimming, she still enjoys singing. She even breaks out into song from time to time while walking around campus with her teammates.

Teammate Corrin Van Lanen said bus rides on the way home from meets are a common place for Zehnder to show off her talent.

Van Lanen said when Taylor Swift comes on during those rides, all eyes shift to Zehnder. They want to hear her.

“She belts out a little, but she’s pretty shy,” Van Lanen said.

Zehnder agreed that she does have “a small obsession with Taylor Swift.” She also said she loves Carrie Underwood and Rascal Flatts.

Although she said she loves to swim for the Bobcats and feels like she made the right choice, Zehnder said she always will wonder what could have been if she had chosen to stick with The Voice.

“Part of me still asks, 'What if?' but I mean, in later years I could always go back," she said. "But at the same time, I think I would have been happy with either decision. I think (going to college and swimming) has more in store for me as far as a stable future goes.”

Zehnder said she is not sure if she will go back and try to sing again, because she is trying to be an orthodontist.

“We will see how things go, but (singing) could be something in the future,” she said.

@spencerholbrook

Sh690914@ohio.edu