Clare Palo

Technobabble: The Oscars are coming: manage your movies with these apps

These apps will make your binge-watching a bit easier.

I’m an award season fanatic. From the Academy Awards to the Golden Globes to the SAG Awards, I watch them all. And by all, I mean all the movies for the Globes and Oscars, too. I like to come prepared and watch as a semi-informed film freak — it’s my bliss.

Despite the #OscarsSoWhite controversy (Concussion got snubbed, I’m still upset tbh) I will continue to watch this year, and hope the Academy makes some radical diversity changes in the years to come.

Having to fit every nominated film into your busy schedule of sleeping and Netflix binge-watching is tiring. I feel pressured to ditch my Friday night plans to binge two Oscar movies and constantly take advantage of The Athena Cinema’s Oscar season movie screenings.

There’s a sad little list that sits in my iPhone’s notes app that has every film I need to watch before Feb. 28. Admittedly, nothing has been crossed off recently. It’s hard to manage, I can’t remember which one I watched, and I forget to jot the others ones down.

Fortunately, some tech-savvy geniuses experienced the same problem and created two apps that help sort all the movies you need to watch.

JustWatch: This app helps find movies to stream across all platforms. If you’re one of those lucky people that has Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO GO and Hulu and are overwhelmed with searching each one for your perfect romcom, then use this app. It filters by release date, price, rating and genre. Once you scroll through the options, you can hit ‘save’ and come back to them later for viewing.

TodoMovies: Think of IMDB or Flixster but with lists. This app helps search for movies in theaters based on your location as well as on some streaming platforms (less limited than JustWatch) and saves them to a list. You can create a ‘To Watch’ and ‘Watched’ list, and a free one like ‘See with Mom’ or ‘See with Best Friend.’  

Speaking of IMDB and Flickster…

IMDB: This is probably my most used movie and TV app. I use it during movie screenings, while I’m sitting at home watching something, or when I can’t remember the name of a character in a TV show. It helps you search movies, TV shows and showtimes all in its Internet Movie Database, and includes filming locations, fun facts and trivia about the film or movie.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="b144bc20-cdf0-11e5-b73b-a743d3d8a749"}}

Flixster: Showtimes, showtimes, showtimes … It is the queen of finding when a movie is on and where. You can search for showtimes for movie theaters near you, buy the tickets right on the spot, and even add them to its ‘Want To See’ list feature. Flixster is very helpful when you’re down for a last-minute movie day.

Streaming, going to the movies and renting at home is a lot easier and faster since the Internet has caved to our qualms. Technology had changed the film industry ... and our pirating ways as we know it.

Clare Palo is a senior studying journalism and digital content director for The Post. Have you used any of these apps? Tweet her @clarepalo or email her at cp954211@ohio.edu.