Weekender Banner

The Weekender: Sibs Weekend

Sibs Weekend, Wolfmen band, Amanda Anne Platt and a 12-hour ticket to Hogwarts.

Erika Barth, a junior studying strategic communication, said she will be taking advantage of the Sibs Weekend events that are are equipped with free food and entertainment.

In years past, hockey games and the annual Sibs Weekend concert have been popular, but in addition to those events, there is a new program this year called Midnight Meltdown where students and their siblings can skate at Bird Arena at 10:30 p.m. Saturday, Jamie Patton, the assistant dean of students, said.

'This year, my sister is actually coming for Sibs Weekend,' Barth said. 'So, we are looking forward to going to the carnival and especially like going to the ice skating event. Both of us are really into ice skating, so that will be really fun for the both of us.' (Link)

Wolfmen: Local band Wolfmen was established after vocalist and guitarist Daniel Spencer and percussionist Seth Alexander decided they wanted to dive into the unorthodox side of music. “Seth and I started like a blues-y two-piece, and when we added a bass player, we found that we weren’t interested in playing blues anymore,” Spencer said. “We wanted to do something a lot more complicated than that.” (Link)

Amanda Anne Platt:  Amanda Anne Platt and her fans will share the same stage Friday night. The folk singer-songwriter of North Carolina-based band The Honeycutters is giving a special backstage performance at Stuart’s Opera House, in which the audience will be sitting on the stage with Platt while she plays. (Link)

12-hour ticket to Hogwarts: To watch all eight Harry Potter films consecutively, it would take approximately 20 hours. Though The Athena is not dedicating an entire 20 hours to Harry Potter, it will host its first ever Harry Potter movie marathon showcasing the first four movies Saturday at noon. (Link)

Post Modern:

"Chrissy Grieshop walked onto a small stage and adjusted the microphone stand to her short stature. She held a notebook and squinted at her writing under the blue stage lights. 

'I like my men how I like my coffee,' she paused. 'Weak and with a dick. Caution: Contents may be hot.'

The crowd of 30 let out a resounding laugh as Grieshop, a member of the stand-up group Blue Pencil Comedy, continued to rip on gender stereotypes and how the roles crafted our history.

'The Founding Fathers were actually meninists,' she said. 'I don’t know if you guys have taken a history of America class, but they were straight up f--kboys.'

The term might be derogatory, but sophomore Grieshop isn’t using it for shock value. It’s her craft."  (Link)