Taylor Smith clears the high jump during the Ohio Cherry Blossom Invitational in 2014 (FILE).

Track and Field: Ohio will travel to Akron for the Mid-American Conference Championships

Donyelle Brown has the highest seed for the Bobcats, with a No. 3 ranking in the weight throw.

Postseason participation for Ohio begins Friday when the Bobcats travel to Akron for the Mid-American Conference Championships.

To qualify, athletes must be in the top 20 in their event. Ohio is sending 22 athletes to complete in 13 different meets. 

“It's my last indoor meet, I’m going to leave it all out there,” she said. 

The next highest seed belongs to Taylor Smith, who comes in at No. 8 in the high jump.

Fellow Bobcats Chanda Cuckler and Avery Kerns will compete with her and are seeded at No. 11 and No. 18, respectively.

The mile run has two Bobcats, Tessa Weigand in No. 13 and Hannah Wishart in No. 19 .

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="5111d656-d117-11e5-8c2e-af5be057cd24"}}

Other Bobcats have qualified in pentathlon, long jump, 60-meter hurdles, 800 meters, 5,000 meters, distance medley and shot-put events.

“We’ve seen the other athletes, we’ve seen the track,” coach Clay Calkins said. “Now its about getting out there and competing.” 

The Bobcats have been improving steadily all year, and throws coach Nick Pero believes more improvement is possible, especially for No. 3 seed Brown.

“I know she wants it, and she’s ready,” Pero said. “Anything can happen at the meet.”

If any Bobcats wins their event, they will advance to the NCAA indoor championships, located in Birmingham, Alabama, at Samford University. That meet will take place March 11.

@WHarmon18

wh298914@ohio.edu