Matthew Watts runs the 1500 meter race during the Ohio Cherry Blossom Invitational Saturday, April 5, 2014. 

Track & Field: Ohio travels to Akron

Ohio travels to Akron this weekend for the Akron Invitational.

When the Bobcats travel to Akron this weekend for the Akron Invitational, their sights will be set on the future.

Akron hosts the MAC Indoor Track and Field Championships on Feb. 27 and Ohio coach Clay Calkins said that this meet is all about seeing the track they will compete on and to continue measuring up to the other Mid-American Conference schools.

Ohio will be joined by conference foes Bowling Green, Kent State, Marshall and host Akron.

“There is a lot of good MAC teams at this meet,” Calkins said. “We want to see the facility we’ll be competing on at the MAC Championships.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="e8030906-cb98-11e5-8dd7-0b6d71098870"}}

There are two larger schools competing at the meet as well, with Cincinnati and Michigan State making the trek to Akron. Calkins said this provides no added incentive to perform.

“Its always good to face top level competition, but we won’t focus too much on how we compete against them,” Calkins said. 

Much to Calkins’ chagrin, competing may not be the right word for this weekend, as the Akron Invitational is not a scored meet. However, this may be good for the Bobcats, as the injury and illness bug have hit the team.

“Ellen Isaac and Emily Deering were both out at Marshall and that really hurt us,” said Calkins. Deering is questionable for Akron, while Isaac is confirmed out for this weekend’s meet.

With these distance runners out, others must step up. Calkins believes that jolt will come from sophomore thrower Jordan Porter.

“She was one of our top recruits last year, and she is poised for a breakout meet,” said Calkins. He also tabbed the high and long jumpers to have a big meet at Akron.

“We are way better than we were this time last year.”

@WHarmon18

wh298914@ohio.edu