Redshirt senior Spatak Chino wrestles Clarion's Jacob Keller in the Convo. Chino beat Keller 15-7, helping Ohio defeat Clarion 40-4. 

Wrestling: No. 22 Ohio rolls past Cleveland State and Gardner Webb

The Bobcats defeated the Vikings and the Bulldogs on Saturday.

Ohio, seemingly, can't lose.

Ohio (12-3, 5-3 Mid-American Conference) continued its winning streak Saturday, extending it to seven by defeating Cleveland State (4-6) 31-11 and Gardner Webb (9-6) 22-13.

The Bobcats continued their dominance, as the match against the Vikings consisted of freshman Shakur Laney winning by fall and redshirt senior Spartak Chino winning by technical fall, 20-5.

Wrestlers such as redshirt senior Andrew Romanchik and Austin Reese also contributed to the win, as the two won by major decisions in their respected matches.

“This is the time of the year you need to be confident, this is the time of the year you need to go out and get after it and score points. That’s what we did today,” Ohio coach Joel Greenlee said. “We went out and took what we wanted.”

Though the Bobcats were dominant in most matchups, redshirt senior Phil Wellington had a hiccup. Wellington lost 6-4 in his match against the Vikings. It was his first loss since losing by fall against Kent State wrestler Kyle Conel.

The Bobcats would also suffer losses from redshirt sophomore Zak Hassan and Jesse Webb.

Ohio didn't tire out from dominating Cleveland State, though, as it kept the tide rolling against Gardner Webb.

Though the Bobcats’ margin of victory (nine points) wasn’t as big against the Bulldogs as it was against the Vikings, they still managed to get key wins.

Wellington redeemed himself against the Bulldogs, winning his match by fall. The Bobcats would also pick up wins from wrestlers such as Laney, Chino, Romanchik and Cody Walters.

Reese lost his match 5-0 and Cullen Cummings lost as well, 3-1 in overtime.

With the Bobcats showing out at the double dual meet, the wins will only increase their confidence as the MAC tournament draws near.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="b3b8b556-d089-11e5-bafa-03723340ba7a"}}

Ohio has been confident, believing it can beat the MAC’s elite teams: Missouri, Kent State and Central Michigan.

The past seven wins could be a byproduct of a multitude of things for Ohio: four seniors are leaving and the team has let some matches slip from their grasp.

Nonetheless, Ohio's confidence will come into play March 5 at the MAC Championships.

"We’ll give them a couple days off in a row now," Greenlee said. "We’ll train for two or three days then take two or three days off. It’s time to get ready for postseason wrestling.”

@CameronFields_

cf710614@ohio.edu