Redshirt senior Phil Wellington wrestles with Clarion's Edgar Ruano, on Jan. 16. Wellington won over Ruano in a major 11-1 decision. Ohio defeated Clarion overall with 40-4. 

Wrestling: Ohio looks to continue dominance in preparation for Old Dominion

Ohio will compete against Old Dominion on Sunday.

The Bobcats are locked in.

Ohio (9-3, 4-3 Mid-American Conference) is in fourth place in the Mid-American Conference, as it's on a four-match win streak.

And with Old Dominion (4-9, 0-4 MAC) coming to Athens on Sunday, Ohio show no signs of loosening its grip on the MAC’s mediocre teams.

“We want to just get the job done, just dominate them, and end the MAC season off on a good note,” freshman Shakur Laney said.

Laney said the Bobcats will look to dominate the Monarchs because it will help the team get into upcoming opponents’ heads. Ohio plays Gardner-Webb after Old Dominion on Feb. 13. 

Ohio has been dominant in its last four matches, having a point differential of 19. The closest match in the four-match span was against Northern Iowa, as Ohio won 18-17.

“I think it’s a very winnable match (against Old Dominion),” freshman Cameron Kelly said. “I think we expect to win, and if we wrestle our best, that’s what will happen.”

Although the Bobcats ooze confidence, they also recognize they have a job to do and that’s to keep on winning.

“We can’t have a letdown, I know that,” coach Joel Greenlee said. “I think they’re a pretty good team, and we don’t match up with them real well."

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="1376550e-c87c-11e5-8382-db53c323dc8c"}}

Greenlee said it’s important for Ohio to focus on what it does well and not worry about what the opponent does well.

Greenlee said there aren’t many individual matchups that are in Ohio’s favor, citing 174 lbs. (Cody Walters), 157 lbs. (Spartak Chino) and 197 lbs. (Phil Wellington) as the team’s strengths.

The longest win streak Ohio had last season was three matches. In the past five seasons, Ohio’s longest win streak spanned five games in the 2012-13 regular season.

“I want to win them all,” Greenlee said. “I think we got the ball rolling a little bit, our guys are feeling good about it (the match) and I expect good things to happen.”

@CameronFields_

cf710614@ohio.edu