Ohio's Spartak Chino throws Old Dominion University’s Austin Eads on the mat during a match Sunday at the Convocation Center. Ohio won 25-13 for its fifth straight victory. 

Wrestling: Ohio works towards success at the MAC and NCAA Championships

Cody Walters members how special senior day was as Ohio prepares for Cleveland State and Gardner-Webb.

Cody Walters was sentimental at Wednesday's practice.  

After last Sunday’s drubbing of Old Dominion, arguably Ohio’s best overall victory of the season in a 25-13 win, Walters was reminded that the clock is ticking on his college career.  

Walters said the senior night match against Old Dominion meant "a lot" to him and to his family, friends and student that support him.

Now, Walters and Ohio will have to put that sentiment behind, as it travels to Boiling Springs, North Carolina to wrestle Cleveland State and Gardner-Webb on Saturday.  

“I was like, ‘Wow, this may be my last time here,’ ” Walters said Wednesday. “I’ve been known for wrestling in close matches, so I thought I would give it everything I had to try and get the big win.” 

Walters won 13-3 against Old Dominion's Tyrell Forbes. It was also possibly the last time Walters will wrestle in The Convo. 

It is still uncertain if the home match against Appalachian State on Feb. 21, will take occur due to scheduling in time for the Mid-American Conference Championships.

Regardless, Ohio has to look forward. 

As important this weekend against Cleveland State and Gardner-Webb is for Ohio, it is key for Walters and company to keep improving individually to prepare for the MAC Championships on March 5. 

“The one team thing you really have to look at now is how to get a stalling call,” Ohio coach Joel Greenlee said. “I think we were there a couple times but we were close a couple times to getting that point. It’s going to be crucial for the MAC and NCAA Championships.” 

Ohio has lost to Central Michigan, Kent State and Missouri this season. This places the team fourth in the MAC. 

Against Kent State, Ohio lost 20-15 and against Missouri, Ohio were blown out 27-9. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="4d89b0da-caff-11e5-ae5b-6791e22705c4"}}

Ohio lost to Central Michigan 15-15, edged out due to the individual match-by-match points.

Greenlee said he believes his team of capable of beating any three of those teams, especially with a little bit of luck moving closer to the MAC tournament.  

“The thing to do now is just have fun with it,” Walters said. “I think I get tweaked up getting ready but just need to have fun. I have 36 days let of doing this so I’m just going to get ready and prepare.”

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu