City Council President Chris Knisely presides over the meeting in the Council Chambers in the city building Nov. 23. (FILE)

Athens City Council to talk new lighting on Richland Avenue, vote on ARTS/West mural

The lighting project is called "Beyond the Bridges" and includes installing decorative lighting on Richland Avenue.

Athens City Council will meet Monday to continue discussing a lighting project for Richland Avenue and consider approving a mural at ARTS/West.

The lighting project, which was proposed by councilwoman Michele Papai, D-3rd Ward and chair of council's transportation committee, is called "Beyond the Bridges" and includes installing decorative lighting on Richland Avenue.

“The purpose is to improve safety and aesthetics in the Athens area,” Papai said at council's Feb. 22 meeting.

Athens Mayor Steve Patterson also showed support for the new lighting.

“This is a needed project, although it’s not such a long-term behavioral change,” Patterson said at the Feb. 22 meeting. “This is a good corrective action from a safety standpoint.”

Papai said the project is not limited to lighting. She said the project may also include islands in the street to help with pedestrian problems and prevent people from making illegal left turns out of Bobcat Lane.

The cost of the project is estimated to be about $43,000.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="49b9d5ce-db13-11e5-aaf1-f35f989fa45e"}}

At Monday' meeting, council will also vote on an ordinance proposing the closing of President Street and portions of Court and Union streets for the International Street Fair on April 16.

Council members will also consider approving a mural at ARTS/West, which was proposed by Ohio University art student Jolena Hansbarger at council's Feb. 8 meeting. ARTS/West is a part of the city's Arts, Parks and Recreation Department, according to its website.

@alyseitbe

ap490814@ohio.edu