Ohio right-handed pitcher Tom Colletti pitches during the Ohio vs. Bowling Green game April 10 at Bob Wren Stadium. Ohio lost 4-2. 

Baseball: Ohio bounces back Sunday to win three-game series against Purdue

After losing in 15 innings Saturday, the Bobcats clinched the series with a 9-2 win Sunday against the Boilermakers

With its conference schedule less than a week away, Ohio had a chance to win a big series against a Big Ten opponent and build momentum. 

The Bobcats accomplished that Sunday, beating Purdue 9-2 to win the three-game series at Kokomo Municipal Stadium in Kokomo, Indiana. Ohio won 6-4 on Friday and lost 5-4 on Saturday in 15 innings. 

“It means a lot,” coach Rob Smith said of winning the series. “It just shows the toughness from our team to be able to come out on a cold Sunday and bounce back with a ton of energy and really get after it.” 

Sitz shines again 

For the second straight weekend, the deciding game of the series came down to Ohio’s Sunday starter, Connor Sitz. 

The Bobcats used seven pitchers in Saturday’s extra-inning loss, meaning a deep outing from Sitz would take pressure off the bullpen. He delivered last weekend with seven shutout innings in a win over IPFW

Though Smith insists there were plenty of relievers still available, Sitz hardly needed any help. He went seven innings and gave up five hits, two runs and no walks while striking out four to earn the win. 

Lineup change for Finkler 

Shortstop Tyler Finkler has been a pleasant surprise offensively so far this season. 

And while he’s batted ninth most of the year, serving as somewhat of a second leadoff, he got a chance to bat second on Sunday after the NCAA ruled Ty Black ineligible. 

Black was ejected Friday for what the umpires, according to Smith, deemed “excessive contact on a play at the plate when he was sliding into home.” 

The umpires misread a ruling that would’ve kept Black out on Saturday, so instead the NCAA stepped in and suspended him Sunday. He will be available for Tuesday’s game against Youngstown State. 

Finkler, on the other hand, had four hits, five walks and scored three runs on the weekend. He’s leading the Bobcats in batting average and on-base percentage. 

“The fact that he’s continued to (hit) and really show consistency in his at-bats, there’s nothing to say that he couldn’t stay in the two-hole,” Smith said. 

Bobcats clicking on the mound and at the plate 

Ohio (9-10) has plenty of positives to take away from its series win over Purdue. 

All three Bobcat starters lasted into the seventh inning, the team had double-digit hit totals in each game and catcher Cody Gaertner extended his hitting streak to 16 games. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="7e354e0a-ec52-11e5-a17a-138aacb0b5ef"}}

The Bobcats will have just one day off before Tuesday’s home game against Youngstown State at 6 p.m., but their series win is a definite confidence boost. 

“You don’t go on the road to play a Power Five team and win the series without playing just good all-around baseball,” Smith said. “These types of teams aren’t just going to beat themselves. So you’ve got to be clicking on all cylinders.” 

@JordanHorrobin 

jh950614@ohio.edu