Ohio infielder Ty Black slides in safe while stealing second base during the Ohio vs. Bowling Green game Friday at Bob Wren Stadium. Ohio lost 4-2. 

Baseball: Rudy Rott leads Bobcats into home opener against IPFW

The Bobcats' freshman first baseman will get his first action at Bob Wren Stadium this weekend against the Mastodons.

As the sun finally set and Frank Sinatra played through the stadium speakers, Ohio finished its practice Tuesday at 7 p.m. — about an hour and a half later than usual. 

Maybe the Bobcats just started late, or maybe they were taking their time to soak up the mid-60s weather — a pleasant sight in early March — ahead of their home opener this weekend against Indiana University–Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW). 

The Bobcats will play the Mastodons four times over three days: Friday at 1 p.m., Saturday at 1 p.m. and 4 p.m., and Sunday at 1 p.m. 

Freshman Rudy Rott looks forward to making his Bob Wren Stadium debut. 

“Just seeing the good crowd that can show up, and playing in front of a home crowd for the first time this year,” Rott said. “A lot of excitement from all the guys.” 

Rott has more reason to be excited than most.

In the early part of his first season, he’s transitioned smoothly to the college game both at the plate and in the field. 

He enters the weekend with a .381 average, good for second on the team, and leads the way with 14 RBI. 

“I didn’t think I’d pick it up this quick, I guess,” he said. “I always knew I could hit. But maybe hitting at the level I’m hitting, I didn’t expect by any means.” 

Despite spending time in high school as a pitcher and catcher, Rott has made 10 of his 11 starts at first base. He fills the glaring void left by Ohio all-time hits leader Jake Madsen. 

Rott said it’s not a position he’s used to playing exclusively, so he’s been taking additional groundball reps and improving his footwork. 

But Rott’s promising start isn't reflected in the team (5-7), which finds itself in a less enjoyable position than its 9-4 mark heading into last year’s home opener. 

Five of the Bobcats’ seven losses have come by three runs or fewer. Surely this wasn’t the plan for the defending Mid-American Conference champions. Yet Rott insists he hasn’t seen frustration from the team’s veterans. 

“We’re just trying to look forward and take it one step at a time,” Rott said. “One game at a time and just give it our best shot every at-bat.”

Ohio will be at home plenty in the next few weeks, with five games sandwiching either side of a road series against Purdue from the Big Ten. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="810bcc82-e57f-11e5-9d92-6b219e98e705"}}

That should give Rott plenty of time to try out his walk-up song, Rihanna’s “Rude Boy,” which goes well for a guy named Rudy. 

“They pretty much picked it for me after the fall (season),” Rott said, smiling but looking less than enthused. “It’s kind of a natural fit.”

@JordanHorrobin

jh950614@ohio.edu