Athens City Building

City Council approves ARTS/West mural and new Community Relations Commission

City Council met Monday to approve the new ARTS/West mural and newly revived Community Relations Commission. 

Athens City Council approved a mural at ARTS/West at Monday night’s meeting.

The mural was proposed by Ohio University art student Jolena Hansbarger at council’s Feb. 8 meeting.

Councilwoman Michele Papai, D-3rd Ward, said she heard a lot of opposition from citizens toward the proposed location of the mural on the retaining wall outside of the ARTS/West building.

“I am also not in opposition to art, it’s the location,” Papai said. “When you put that much work and effort into an art instillation, I’d like for people to see it.”

Councilman Pat McGee, I-At Large, who is also in opposition to the mural’s potential location, said it should be placed Uptown so that more people are likely to see it.

“I jokingly said it should be on a moveable wall so more people can see it,” McGee said. “It should be for the public to enjoy, and not for us to isolate.”

Carol Patterson, chair of the Athens Municipal Arts Commission, also spoke at the meeting in favor of the mural’s proposed location at ARTS/West.

“Jolena brought forward a very complete plan, including funding,” Patterson said. “It was designed for the area in terms of space and subject matter, down to the detail of the logo of ARTS/West in the actual design.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="20d85efe-dc0e-11e5-b711-57f644eab2b7"}}

Patterson said the arts commission did not feel there possibly could be a more appropriate place for public art to be displayed than on the only city-owned arts building.

“We passionately believe that ARTS/West deserves art to greet those who come to visit our facility,” Patterson said.

Council also approved an ordinance authorizing the service-safety director to enter into a new contract for sludge management, as the previous hauler has passed away.

Councilman Kent Butler, D-1st Ward, said city waste is being hauled to a location the city owns out of town.

“The sludge will be sent to an active farm, and some to a landfill, and it will be used as fertilizer,” Butler said.

Council members also approved members to the Community Relations Commission.

The commission, which purpose is to create mutual respect amongst all citizens of Athens, will have a number of duties, including receiving complaints from citizens and moving to resolve issues.

Councilwoman Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward, said the range of people who are going to be on the commission is great.

“This commission is Athens: quirky and loving,” Fahl said.

Councilwoman Jennifer Cochran, D-At Large, also showed support for the new commission.

“Reinvigorating this group would help to ensure that we have a loving and accepting community here in Athens,” Cochran said.

@alyseitbe

ap490814@ohio.edu