A young girl holds up a sign at the Cole Swindell concert in Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium on Friday.

Cole Swindell concert brings country fans from all over Ohio to MemAud

Country music star, Cole Swindell, performed a sold out show in the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium on Friday.

A child sat on someone’s shoulders at the Cole Swindell concert and held up a sign that read “My 1st Concert.” The country star later signed it.

Before the end of the sold out show Friday night at Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium, Swindell got a picture with the crowd while holding an Ohio University sign. He autographed the sign and handed it to the same child.

Swindell frequently engaged with the audience by taking selfies with them while performing and even saying “Happy Birthday” to one person in the crowd.

Before Swindell hit the stage, the Adam Craig Band warmed up the audience. Adam Craig, the lead singer and songwriter, said he started out writing songs for artists. Craig wrote the No. 1 single  “Wastin’ Gas” for Canadian country singer Dallas Smith. Daphnie Sinift, who traveled from Lancaster to see the concert, said Adam Craig Band’s performance of the song was her favorite and added that she liked the band.

“(Adam Craig) was incredible,” she said. “I’ve never seen someone so genuine open up for someone so big.”

After a slight intermission to get the stage ready, the Swindell came out on stage wearing a ballcap, jeans, T-shirt and a button-down, short sleeved shirt.

Swindell kicked off his set with a song off of his debut album, “Down Home Boys.” He played many hits off his self-titled album, including “Chillin’ It,” “Let Me See Ya Girl,” “Ain’t Worth The Whiskey” and “You Should Be Here.”

Nicole Sealey, from Vincent, Ohio said “You Should Be Here” is “one of his better songs.”

“The lyrics strike a chord with a lot of people,” Sealey said.

Swindell also showcased his songwriting repertoire by performing songs he wrote for other country artists. These songs included Luke Bryan’s “Roller Coaster” and “Church Pew or Barstool” by Jason Aldean

“The way he sings his music speaks to a lot of people and he’s an amazing performer,” Chase Szymanski, who traveled all the way from Toledo to see Swindell, said.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="6473f1fc-eee5-11e5-894d-77975afc287b"}}

Swindell not only sang his songs, but covered a couple of songs by fellow country artists Tim McGraw and Kenny Chesney — “Real Good Man” and “Don’t Happen Twice,” respectively. Swindell said these are two songs he used to perform in college.

“It’s probably one of the best performances I’ve been to,” Rosie Harry, a freshman studying psychology, said. “He just loves Ohio and you can tell.”

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu