Cole Swindell

Cole Swindell to play sold-out show in MemAud

“Chillin’ It” singer Cole Swindell will be performing a sold-out show in Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium on Friday at 8 p.m.

Country artist Cole Swindell will be “Chillin’ It” on Ohio University’s campus this weekend.

Swindell will perform a sold-out concert at 8 p.m. in the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium on Friday.

Swindell released his first, self-titled album in 2014. He has had two No. 1 hits off the debut album: “Chillin’ It” and, the current No. 1 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart, “You Should Be Here.” Two of his other hits, “Hope you Get Lonely Tonight” and “Let Me See Ya Girl,” peaked at No. 7 and No. 9, respectively.

Mary Schmelzer, a freshman studying nursing, said her favorite Swindell song is “You Should Be Here” because it reminds her of a friend who has a potentially fatal illness.

“(Country music) tells a story that you can usually relate to,” she said.

Even though Schmelzer said she is unable to attend Swindell’s concert, she hopes to see him in the future. She added that country music concerts are her favorite because there is usually a good crowd of people with a lot of energy.

“I know most of the lyrics to any country song, so (at country concerts) I can sing as loud as I want to,” Schmelzer said.

According to Andrew Holzaepfel, the senior associate director of the Campus Involvement Center, the concert sold out approximately a month ago.

“We’ve had sold out country shows. … This one sold out quicker than I was anticipating,” Holzaepfel said. “I knew it would be a full house. You know, Cole is right on the edge of breaking to something really huge.”

He said country concerts usually do really well on campus because they draw both students and local residents.

“It should be a fun show,” he said. “They’re always fun when they’re sold out — there’s a huge amount of energy in the building.”

Rylee Ross, a sophomore studying finance and marketing, said she will be attending the concert.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="b5c05466-cf54-11e5-aab5-8bfe9077bdaf"}}

“My dad is coming, and we go to a lot of country concerts together,” she said. “We saw Cole Swindell at Buckeye Country Superfest, and we really liked him, so my dad surprised me with tickets.”

Ross said her favorite songs by Swindell are “You Should Be Here” and “Let Me See Ya Girl.”

“I’m pumped. It’ll be a really good show,” she said. “He’s really energetic live.”

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu