Ohio linebacker Jovon Johnson runs the ball against Miami during the homecoming game Oct 10, 2015. (FILE)

Football: Ohio looks to fine-tune little things as spring game nears

Ohio's spring game will be on April 9 at 2:10 p.m in Peden Stadium. 

For quarterback Greg Windham, the annual spring football game is simply a practice.

But despite his mindset going into the spring game, which takes place on April 9, Windham still strives to put forth his best effort in the yearly intrasquad scrimmage.

The spring game is an open practice at Peden Stadium every year in which Bobcat fans can come watch. Windham sees it as an opportunity to improve despite not knowing where he'll be on the depth chart when Ohio starts play later this fall.

“I take every practice as a game rep,” he said.

Ohio’s spring game will start at 2:10 p.m.

Windham has gotten a majority of first team reps during the team’s spring practices, throwing balls with velocity to receivers.

As Ohio gets closer to the spring game, it will focus on not turning the ball over.

In Tuesday’s practice, safety Bo Hardy tallied two interceptions for the day, challenging Windham to fine tune making his reads.

“I applaud Bo for stepping up and picking those balls off,” Windham said. “That’s making us better.” 

But Ohio doesn’t want to just fine-tune for the spring game. As Ohio’s spring football season nears its close, it is looking at the bigger picture for next season.

Rewind to Ohio’s performance in the Raycom Media Camellia Bowl against Appalachian State. Ohio led for a majority of the game, but Appalachian State scored three quick touchdowns at the beginning of the fourth quarter to get back into the game.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="85f1df52-f62d-11e5-9ec4-8fe88b229dca"}}

From that point, Ohio played catch up, but eventually losing 31-29 on a late Appalachian State field goal.

Fast forward to the present, and Ohio doesn’t want a game to end like that again.

“If we stop them (Appalachian State), the game is over,” assistant head coach Tim Albin said.  

Albin said the Bobcats try to install a type of situational drill in every practice for the spring game.

The 'end of game' scenario is just one of the drills the Bobcats will work on for the spring game. Ohio will also implement a four minute offense drill in which it will work on maintaining the lead at the end of a game.

“We have to get a first down, and then we can take a knee, and the clock runs out,” Albin said.

@CameronFields_

cf710614@ohio.edu