MBB Notebook: Your complete guide to the MAC Tournament, Ohio version

Analyzing the first portion of the men's basketball Mid-American Tournament.

No. 2 seed Ohio received a first-round bye in the Mid-American Conference Tournament after defeating rival Miami (OH) on Friday and a little luck.

The Bobcats are slated to play Thursday night in Cleveland.

However, that doesn't mean MAC fans will have to wait until then to watch basketball.

Eight teams will play Monday night to determine who will travel to Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland to face the four highest seeds in the MAC.

Ohio (20-10, 11-7 MAC) will play the winner of No. 7 Northern Illinois versus No. 10 Western Michigan.

Here are Monday's matchups and what they mean to Ohio's chances at a MAC title run.

Northern Illinois vs. Western Michigan

Two inconsistent teams equate to a jumbled matchup in DeKalb, Illinois. 

Northern Illinois (20-11, 9-9 MAC) will play in the comfort of its own home, but the Huskies have won only four of their previous 12 games. That includes a five-game losing streak in the beginning of February.

Yet, Northern Illinois' strength comes from playing at home. It is 17-1 at home this season including a 80-79 win against No. 1 seed Akron. 

Western Michigan (13-18, 7-11 MAC) will have its hands full on two fronts: guarding Northern Illinois' forward Marin Maric without its best forward, Connar Tava.

The Broncos are 3-13 on the road this season and will most likely lean on Thomas Wilder — the second-highest scorer in the MAC — to make the matchup even. 

Regardless of who wins Monday, Ohio has an advantage.

On its side of the bracket are Northern Illinois, Western Michigan, Buffalo, Miami and Ball State and the Bobcats are 8-1 against these teams in the regular season. 

Ohio defeated Western Michigan handily in the regular season behind Mike Laster's defensive intensity on Wilder.

Ohio split its season series with Northern Illinois, but last time out, coach Saul Phillips and company caused matchup issues with Jaaron Simmons' late-game attacks to the rim.

Miami vs. Ball State 

No. 11 Miami and No. 6 Ball State go into Monday's bout at Muncie, Indiana as losers of their final regular season games. 

Miami (12-19, 6-12 MAC) ranks last in the MAC in scoring (63 points per game). Ball State (19-12, 10-8 MAC) isn't much better on the offensive end, averaging 71 points per game, good enough for 10th best in the MAC. 

The winner of this matchup plays No. 3 Buffalo on Thursday. 

Of the three teams on this portion of the bracket, Buffalo may provide the largest threat to Ohio's chances at a MAC final berth. 

Ohio and Buffalo battled in overtime the last time the two teams met, with Ohio freshman Jordan Dartis capitalizing on two clutch 3-pointers late. Dartis was named First Team All MAC Freshmen on Monday.

Buffalo offense may keep up with Ohio's first-ranked firepower, but its last-ranked defense could be its downfall in the second or third rounds. 

Kent State vs. Bowling Green and Toledo vs. Eastern Michigan 

Ohio would only see one of these teams if it sweeps its side of the bracket. 

The winner of No. 5 Kent State and No. 12 Bowling Green will play No. 4 Central Michigan. No. 8 Eastern Michigan or No. 9 Toledo will play No. 1 Akron.

Ohio is 3-6 against this portion of the bracket this season. 

Ohio had some luck earning No. 2 seed and, maybe, its luck will continue. 

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@ohio.edu