Ohio University Guard Antonio Campbell goes in for a layup during the game against Eastern Michigan on Tuesday evening at the Convocation Center. (FILE)

Men's Basketball: Three Ohio players earn conference honors

Antonio Campbell, Jaaron Simmons and Jordan Dartis were awarded MAC honors Monday.

Three Ohio players earned All Mid-American Conference honors, the league announced Monday. 

Forward Antonio Campbell was named first team All-MAC, Jaaron Simmons was awarded second team All-MAC honors and Jordan Dartis was named to the All-Freshmen squad. 

It was the first career honors for each player. 

"It feels good, but I just want to win a MAC (title). I just want get to the NCAA Tournament," Campbell said. 

Campbell, a MAC player of the Year candidate, averages 19 points and 11 rebounds per game on a 57 shooting clip within conference play. He also added a block a game and shot 45 percent (29-65) from beyond the arc.

Both he and Simmons were named MAC Player of the Week twice over the course of the Bobcats' 30-game season.

Simmons, who transferred from Houston, averaged eight assists and 16 points per game during league play. His control from the point guard position led Ohio (20-10, 11-7 MAC) to a No. 2 seed within the conference.

His 7.7 assists per game over the regular season also ranked third most in the NCAA. 

Simmons' 231 season assists ranked third-most in program history behind just D.J. Cooper. Simmons tallied 17 assists in a 81-79 win over Toledo on Jan. 26, the most by a single NCAA player this year. 

"With all that hard work, we should've won more games," Ohio coach Saul Phillips said with a laugh. "I think they're all very deserving and all those guys are returning so we can build on it."

Finally, Dartis became a vital piece to Ohio's 10-win turnaround. 

His zone-busting shooting helped Ohio rank atop the MAC in offensive totals. Ohio ranks first in the MAC in scoring in part to Dartis' ability to spread defenses out.

Dartis made 49 percent of his 3-point shots. He averaged 10 points per game this season. 

"It's nice to hear, but I'm more worried about this MAC Tournament, just trying win this MAC and go to the (NCAA Tournament)" Dartis said. "It's nice to know, that's great, but we got other things to worry about." 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="f0eb9248-e481-11e5-b33c-7737c00fde94"}}

The MAC will announce its Freshman of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year and Sixth Man Award winners on Tuesday and Player of the Year and Coach of the Year winners on Wednesday.

No. 2 seed Ohio will play Thursday against the winner of No. 7 Northern Illinois versus No. 10 Western Michigan.

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@ohio.edu