Golf Stats

Men's Golf: Ohio struggles at Mission Inn Spring Spectacular

Peyton White's second round score was discarded because he incorrectly signed his scorecard. 

Coach Bob Cooley thought his men’s golf team looked rusty at the Mission Inn Spring Spectacular.

Part of the struggle for the Bobcats was a slight screw up by Peyton White. After the second round, he signed his scorecard incorrectly and was forced to take a zero for the round.

Incorrectly signing a scorecard isn't rare in the sport and even happens to players on the PGA Tour. 

The zero from the incorrect signing hurt the overall score for the team and White's score. White earned a 99th place and a disqualification from the tournament.

The Bobcats finished the tournament in a tie for 13th place with a 922, 58-over par.

The high scorer for Ohio was Grant Engel, finishing in a tie for 57, shooting an overall of 233, 17-over par.

“I don’t feel like I scored too well,” Engel said. “My scores weren’t a reflection of how I was playing. I hit the ball pretty well, but I could not figure out the greens. I didn’t putt the ball very well.”

Ty Herriott finished in a tie for 64, shooting 20-over par. The Bobcats had trouble adjusting to the course and that was seen in the time it took adjust to the greens.

“It’s a tough golf course that we were playing,” Cooley said. “The greens were a lot slower than what we were used to do. We didn’t putt very well.”

No. 18 South Florida won the tournament by 21 shots with a 15-under par.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="1029a93e-cf82-11e5-8e29-7f1eced6c792"}}

Ohio will head to the Middleburg Bank Intercollegiate Tournament next week in Williamsburg, Virginia.

“We’re getting back into the swing of things as we start moving back up the east coast,” Engel said. “This tournament is tough because you haven’t competed for a couple of weeks. We’ll just be looking for a better finish next week.”

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu