Peyton White, poses for a portrait on the Ohio University Golf Course last season.

Men's Golf: Ohio's Peyton White seated in a tie for third after round one of tournament play

Ohio is in 10th place at the Middleburg Intercollegiate Tournament and off to a rocky start.

Despite the cold and wind taking over the course on the first day of tournament play, Peyton White is off to a solid start at the Middleburg Intercollegiate Tournament. At the end of round one, he sits in a tie for third place individually.

White shot a 1-under par, a 69, and tied with four other golfers. Throughout the fall and spring seasons, he consistently has been the top golfer for Ohio and has had numerous top 10 finishes this year. 

With more confidence in his basic skills, White now can focus on the characteristics of each tournament's course, such as how fast the greens are, what the terrain is like and where pin placement is for each hole. 

As for the team, Ohio sits in a tie for 10th with Texas Christian and William & Mary, with all three teams shooting 15-over par.

Ohio's play may have been affected by the weather, which took a turn for the worse late in the afternoon Sunday. The course became chilly, and sleet began to fall. Lucky for Ohio, the weather in Williamsburg, Virginia, is supposed to be warmer as the tournament progresses throughout the week.

The tournament, hosted at The River Course at Kingsmill Resort, is different than almost all tournaments Ohio will participate in. Play will span across three days, and golfers will have more time to rest between each round.

Moving forward, White will attempt to drop a couple shots in the next two days of tournament play. 

His teammate, Grant Engel, finished in a tie for 34th at the end of round one, the second highest Bobcat finish. Engel shot a 73, 3-over par.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="15a55d28-d4d6-11e5-a896-07e3f4d43540"}}

Ty Herriott finished in a tie for 56th, shooting 5-over par. Ben Sattler finished in a tie for 95, and Mike Engleman shot a 10-over par, good for a tie for 112th.

Ohio will resume round two play Monday morning. 

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu