Post Haste

Post Haste: Concern after alleged OU assault lives on through Facebook post; New Jeff Market a year away

The Facebook post of the incident has nearly 4,000 likes.

Good morning. Here's what you need to know for Thursday, March 24, 2016:

The Hocking County Sheriff's office ignited the fervor and fear of the Internet on Tuesday with a Facebook post concerning the man recently arrested for reportedly assaulting an Ohio University employee. It’s been making the rounds on social media ever since.

The post detailed the circumstances surrounding 25-year-old James Howard’s arrest, which occurred the day of the alleged assault.

“Deputies located Howard inside (Wal-Mart) at the firearms counter attempting to purchase a large amount of ammunition, gloves and camouflage clothing,” the post reads.

“Deputies executed a search warrant on Howard’s vehicle and located a newly purchased firearm ... along with various other survival gear.”

Prior to the arrest, the post said, a gun store owner in Hocking County barred the man from buying a gun, saying Howard made statements that “made the owner question (Howard’s) mental stability, according to the post.

The shop owner then reported the encounter to the police. The Facebook post received almost 4,000 Facebook likes as of press time.

Interested in getting Post Haste sent directly to your email address each morning? Register here.

Weather

Warm (71 degrees) with a 60 percent chance of showers. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

News

• Jeff Hall is getting a new market. (The Post)

• A Post staffer ranked uptown bars. (The Post)

• The Athena Cinema is doing some cool stuff to make movies more accessible to the hearing impaired. (The Post)

The Weekender

Thursday - Saturday and March 30 at 8 p.m. in Katner Hall

Division of Theater closes season with drama ‘Intimate Apparel’

The last division of theater production of the year is about love and longing. Intimate Apparel focuses on the live of an early 1900s seamstress shop. Esther, a black seamstress at the shop, is responsible for classy New Yorkers’ undergarments, and the relationships she forms because of it.

Saturday 10 p.m. at Casa Nueva

Two jam bands expect lively show at Casa Nueva

The Almighty Get Down and dadARM are set to play at Casa this weekend. The bands haven’t had the chance to play together before, but ever since hearing the The Almighty Get Down’s set at a previous show, the guitar player for dadARM has been excited to get the bands together.

Saturday 6 p.m. in Baker Ballroom

Persian students welcome spring in Athens with new year celebration

Flowers beginning to bloom means having to wear fewer layers to class. It also means the Persian New Year is growing near, and the OU Iranian Students Society is hosting a Nowruz festival to celebrate.

Sunday 2:30 p.m in Baker Ballroom

Sakura Festival will celebrate Japanese culture and cherry blossoms

Some of those blooming flowers include the cherry blossom. They are famous in D.C. and even Athens has been known to celebrate their arrival. This weekend, the Japanese Student Association will be holding a Sakura Festival to celebrate the more than 200 Sakura trees in Athens that will be blooming soon.

Scores and Game Times

The men’s basketball team lost a close one to Morehead State last night in The Convo.

The women’s team plays at 7 p.m. tonight at Temple.

You might also want to know …

Former late night talk show host David Letterman has apparently really, really let himself go now that he is off the air. (International Business Times)

The FBI is still trying to get into that darn iPhone. This time their enlisting the help of an Israeli firm. (Reuters via Venture Beat).

For more global news, check out The New York Times' daily briefing.

Bar Specials

Pawpurr’s Bar: Half-off drinks from 8-9 p.m.

The Pub: $2.50 well drinks. $2.50 Cali Boy and Vegas Bombs

Red Brick Tavern: $1 well drinks and domestics from 6-9 p.m.

Courtside Pizza: $2 domestic, $3 Jameson, $2.50 Long Islands from 4-9 p.m.

@JeremyHTweets

jh082913@ohio.edu