Taylor Saxton runs toward first base during Ohio University’s game against the University of Kentucky.

Softball: The Bobcats are confident going into three-game series against Ball State

After shining in a doubleheader performance against Kentucky, Savannah Jo Dorsey will be expected to contribute in multiple outings in a three-game series against Ball State.

Ohio coach Jodi Hermanek wasn’t sure what her ace was fully capable of going into the Bobcats’ second weekend of Mid-American Conference play.

But after being wowed by Savannah Jo Dorsey and her enduring performances in a doubleheader against nationally ranked Kentucky Tuesday, Hermanek has high expectations for her starter in a three-game series against Ball State starting Friday in Muncie, Indiana.

“Starting her in the second game was training for conference weekend,” Hermanek said after the Kentucky doubleheader. “We’ve been splitting so much between her and Danielle Stiene, but now (Dorsey) knows she’s got it in her.”

Dorsey was named MAC Player of the Week for the second consecutive week and will bring her 1.79 ERA to the duel, likely pitching against Cardinal pitcher Nicole Steinbach. 

The Bobcats are anxious to get off to a fast start against Steinbach, who has given up a total of two runs in her past two games.

Hermanek said confidence is what her team gained from Kentucky, for this upcoming weekend.

"We just showed ourselves that we can get on the field with anybody and we can compete hard."

Proving she has competed hard all year, Dorsey has finished 11 complete games this year. And due to her work ethic in practice, she’s able to fight off fatigue inning after inning when she’s in the circle.

“I’m glad (Dorsey is) on our team, in our uniform,” Hermanek said.

Ohio is likely to have its starting shortstop back in Amanda Dalton, who missed both games of the Kentucky doubleheader after she injured herself sliding into second base over the previous weekend against Western Michigan.

While Ohio would love to have Dalton back in the lineup as a senior leader, the way Dorsey has made it clear she can carry the Bobcats has energized the entire team.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="8aee09cc-f5fb-11e5-a752-c70feaf241dd"}}

“Definitely got us more hype,” Ohio outfielder Deanna Cole said, after the win over the Wildcats. “Kentucky – obviously huge school, big game. Kentucky is done, we did it. Now we have to go on to Ball State.”

@NKairys

nk596613@ohio.edu