Upper String Studio students after their recital in Good Shepherd in 2015. The group performed another recital March 10 at Dairy Barn Arts Center.

Stay out of ‘treble’ this fest weekend, enjoy numerous School of Music performances

Students either meeting curriculum requirements or simply performing for fun will display their musical talents in a multitude of performances around Athens.

For anyone wanting to escape the dubstep music that will undoubtedly be blaring on the fest streets of Athens this weekend, there are plenty of options to be found in the Ohio University School of Music.

From recitals to choral concerts, School of Music performances abound all weekend. However, Dawn Wohn, an assistant professor of violin and viola, said it’s often difficult to publicize and find audiences for the abundance of events put on by the school.

“One of the main objectives of this recital is to try to get people from the community in so that they’ll see the students play really well and perhaps later come to more events at the school,” Wohn, who is helping facilitate Thursday’s strings recital, said.

Here’s a rundown of the events, which are all free and open to the public:

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="44fb5a24-e623-11e5-b373-a3069181b84e"}}

Encores! String Recital

Sixteen students in the Upper Strings Studio studying the violin or viola organized a recital at the Dairy Barn Arts Center for 7 p.m., Thursday. There will be a cash bar and a reception after.

Wohn said one reason she encourages her students to organize such recitals is to get them to experience arranging their own performances like they will have to do in the real world.

Alice Silva, a second-year graduate student studying violin performance, said the recital will be exciting because of the range of music — from international to pop — that will be played.

“It’s not gonna be a stuffy, sit down kind of concert. ... It’s supposed to be more like a fun, festival type of concert,” Wohn said.

OHIO Flute Choir & Shimmering Silver Flute Quartet

Directed by Alison Brown Sincoff, an associate professor of flute, the Saturday afternoon performances by the Flute Choir and the Shimmering Silver Flute Quartet promise to celebrate the “colorful, spring-like sounds of the flute” with music by such composers as Antonio Vivaldi, Gary Schocker and Meyer Lutz, according to the College of Fine Arts website. The choir and quartet will play at 4 p.m., Saturday in Glidden Recital Hall.

Symphony Orchestra

The Symphony Orchestra will perform at 4 p.m., Sunday at Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium.

Graduate Student Recital: Elizabeth Hamilton, Flute 

Elizabeth Hamilton, who is studying flute performance, will perform in a recital Saturday at 8 p.m. in the Glidden Recital Hall. According to the OU Flute Studio’s Facebook page, Hamilton recently placed 2nd in the Hampton Roads Flute Faire Collegiate Competition. She also passed her Masters Flute Recital hearing Tuesday.

Undergraduate Student Recital: Max Carney, Voice

Max Carney, a junior studying music, audio production, finance and marketing will perform a vocal recital Sunday at 6 p.m. in Glidden Recital Hall.

The baritone has chosen to sing American folk songs, including the recognizable “House of the Rising Sun.”

Carney said the School of Music trains students with classical techniques that allow a vocalist to sing every other type of music.

Fire and Flight: Ohio University Singers Concert

OU Singers will perform a spring concert Sunday at 8 p.m. Though the mixed choral ensemble puts on a concert four times a year, this is the first concert of the year the ensemble is performing on its own, according to publicity manager Grant Johnson.

The concert will be held at The Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd, which Johnson said is the best place for the group to sing on campus because of how well choral music works there.

“Something with people singing is so much more human, and you can connect much more to the audience,” he said. “It’s a choral music thing.”

Graduate Student Recital: Amy Schaaf, Trumpet

Second-year graduate student Amy Schaaf, who is studying trumpet performance, will give her final recital Monday at 8 p.m. in Glidden Recital Hall.

Though Schaaf put a recital on last spring for fun and to gain experience, Monday’s performance will fulfill her degree recital requirement.

From the Baroque Era to the Romantic Era, Schaaf will play a wide range of music, some of which she has been preparing since Fall Semester.

@erindavoran

ed414911@ohio.edu