Apple might eliminate headphones

Technobabble: Apple possibly eliminating the headphone jack is the worst news

Columnist Clare Palo writes about how the new iPhone 7 may not have a headphone jack.

Rumors have been swirling around social media that Apple will eliminate the headphone jack in the next batch of iPhone improvements. The jack removal will supposedly free up space for a possibly bigger battery, improving battery life, and make room for Apple’s new bluetooth technology.

What does this mean for headphone enthusiasts who live for trendy products like Beats and Bose, who have invested a hefty amount of money in a high-tech set of headphones?

Audio enthusiasts will have to buy all new gear. Most headphones and earbuds do not have detachable wires and wireless technology (obviously). When you take away the wires, Bluetooth comes in, making the headphones even more expensive. So not only will consumers have to ditch their beloved old headphones, but they’ll have to buy even more expensive products to replace them.

What would the new headphones, especially the earbuds, look like? Will they be like small pods like Bluetooth headsets now? Or still have some kind of wire or headwrap built in? Models like Bragi’s Dash have come out, and frankly, they look like something out of a science-fiction movie.

New headphones like this could fuel the next Bluetooth headset generation, where conversations become awkward because of the unseen devices in user’s ears (when headphones are in, it’s a silent do not disturb sign). Not to mention possibly losing the wireless buds on the daily.

A move like this from Apple isn’t surprising. Apple was once commended for releasing the innovative white headphones style, which served as a genius marketing tactic for the Apple campaign.

It’s been almost 10 years since the first iPhone was released, and every year consumers on #TeamApple see new changes to their favorite products.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="960dfd4e-e958-11e5-bc88-8358b9944ab8"}}

From the switch of the 30-pin charger to the lightning USB, and the addition of the fingerprint-scanner home button, Apple is constantly changing and trying to improve its products. Unfortunately, this leads to an institution of products that are constantly becoming outdated, and consumers who want to stay tech-savvy update their tech to stay with the times.

So, if Apple does decide to make the move to the future-esque headphones and pod-like earbuds, it may become the future of audio, and you can say adios to your love-hate relationship with corded headphones.

Clare Palo is a senior studying journalism and digital content director for The Post. What do you think of having no headphone jack in the new iPhone? Tweet her @clarepalo or email her at cp954211@ohio.edu.