Clare Palo

Technobabble: Foodie photo editing app can increase 'likes' on your brunch pics

Here is a breakdown of the food photo editing app everyone needed over spring break.

The Japanese developers who brought you the messaging app LINE released a yummy new camera app called Foodie that will perfectly filter your food Instagram pictures in seconds. How many times did I use Foodie over spring break? More times than I’d like to admit.

The app filters, processes and perfectly angles your food snaps, helping you avoid awkwardly standing up at your table to get a bird's eye view picture. Once you properly angle your phone’s camera over your plate, a bright yellow leveler bar will appear on the bottom of the screen to indicate your photo angle is on point, and then you can snap away.

From there you can share the photo on the LINE app or other social networks of your choosing. Foodie could double the amount of likes on your #foodgrams, making your friends seriously wish they hadn’t skipped brunch with you that day (FOMO anyone?).

Foodie offers more than 20 different filter options, distinguishing between filter categories such as “Yum”, “Fresh” and “BBQ” that each use different hues and saturations depending on the type of food you’re photographing.

It can even make photos of finished meals look amazing. My not-so-snazzy hotel continental breakfast looked even better when using the app than it tasted. The food doesn’t have to be five star — it makes the most lackluster meals look delicious. Select Foodie filters (Yum 1) look good on non-food photos as well, using bright colors to refine normal photos.

The app is currently available for iPhone and Android, and only offers still photos for now but developers are considering a video feature in the future.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="85a63d06-d8d5-11e5-a570-bb4869f4bfe6"}}

Clare Palo is a senior studying journalism and digital content director for The Post. What is your favorite meal to photograph? Tweet her @clarepalo or email her at cp954211@ohio.edu.