Donyelle Brown, a redshit junior and thrower for the Ohio University women's track and field team, practices on April 15, 2015, in Athens, Ohio. 

Track & Field: Ohio heads out for the Shamrock Invitational

Ohio track and field will try new things at the Shamrock Invitational this weekend, according to coach Clay Calkins. 

Hopefully, the Bobcats will have the luck of the Irish this weekend. 

The Bobcats will cover some distance this weekend when they head to the Shamrock Invitational at Coastal Carolina University. The distance team will cover even more, as they're heading to Wake Forest for the Wake Forest Open.

Entering their first outdoor meet after a less than stellar showing at Indoor MAC Championships, where they finished 10th out of 12 teams, the Bobcats look to turn a new page.

“We were a little dinged up heading into MACs, so we hope to be healthier now,” Ohio coach Clay Calkins said.

With the change of scenery also comes a change of competitors for the Bobcats, as Calkins said new athletes will try new things.

“We have new competitors in the hammer throw, and a few mid distance events,” Calkins said. “Hopefully they net us some points.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="37f1e19c-dbf9-11e5-8991-fb6539c69ea1"}}

Although the change of scenery and new competitors exist, the overall mindset has remained the same for a youthful group. This season is all about adjusting to the college competition and growing together, Calkins said. 

“We’re anxious to see what the younger athletes can do, and that’s our main goal and focus," he added.

@WHarmon18

wh298914@ohio.edu