Quiera Lampkins tries to make it to the hoop during Ohio University's game against Kent State on Feb. 24. 

Women's Basketball: Black gets snubbed, 'Cats seek revenge in MAC Tournament

Kiyanna Black didn't win MAC Player of the year, and Nathalie Fontaine won for the second consecutive year. In other team news, Ohio seeks revenge against Buffalo to avenge its two previous losses to the Bulls.

Kiyanna Black was snubbed again.

"I feel like I should have won it last year, and I didn’t win it, so that’s not really on my mind. I don’t care about it," Black said when asked if she deserved to be the 2015-16 Mid-American Conference Player of the Year, after she didn't win the award last season.

But that was last year. This season, Black had everything in her favor to win the accolade: a winning team and sufficient stats. 

"She’s been tremendous and has meant a ton to this program and taken us to where we’ve gotten to," coach Bob Boldon said. "Not only this year, but last year."

Yet she didn’t win the award. Again. Ball State forward Nathalie Fontaine collected the MAC Player of the Year honor. Again.

But that’s OK for Black. Now, she and the Bobcats can win the MAC outright. Again. 

After a first-round bye, Black and No. 1 Ohio begin their conference tournament campaign Wednesday in Cleveland against Buffalo. 

Last time the two teams played, Black fouled out early in the fourth quarter in a close game. With Ohio missing its biggest offensive weapon, the team suffered its biggest loss since Dec. 15 in the game against Buffalo.

Playing Buffalo, however, isn’t the worst case scenario for everyone on the team.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="3ebdd2ea-e49d-11e5-a3f8-73178a666c38"}}

"I hope we play Buffalo," guard Yamonie Jenkins said. “I think we have a statement to make."

Despite having to play Buffalo for a third time this season, the game is no different for Ohio.

But should the game against Buffalo even occur?

This year, the tournament structure changed so all the teams in the conference make it to the tournament, which adds an extra game to the bracket.

The extra game doesn’t phase Ohio.

"Obviously we would rather play just two games, but that’s not an option," Boldon said.

Boldon said Black is the best player in the conference, but her achievements again went unrecognized. Now the task for the Bobcats is to get past Buffalo on Wednesday afternoon.

"I’m certain she would rather be a MAC Champion than player of the year," Boldon said. "That’s just who she is."

@wystonw_

ww773412@ohio.edu