English professor Carey Snyder re-edited H.G. Wells’ novel Ann Veronica. The Women's Center is hosting a small party to celebrate the newly published edition.

Women’s Center book party to discuss feminist classic 'Ann Veronica'

OU professor Carey Snyder gives helpful background information in her recently published edition.

A book party at the Women’s Center on Thursday will give participants a little inside information about the history of an iconic novel written more than 100 years ago.

Carey Snyder, associate professor of English, recently published her own edition of Ann Veronica by H. G. Wells with historical context and will be discussing it as part of the Women’s Center’s series of programs for Women’s History Month in March.

Ann Veronica, published in 1909, centers around a woman inspired by Wells’ own mistress, Amber Reeves. During the novel, the main character rebels by leaving her sheltered suburban home and travels to London. There, she joins the suffrage movement, which leads her to participate in a raid on the British Parliament for which she is arrested. She also falls in love with a man who is loosely based on Wells himself.

Snyder’s additions include an introduction, which gives historical and biographical context of the novel, and appendices of authentic writings from the time. The writings include letters from Wells to Reeves, Wells’ own autobiographical information, photos of Reeves and speeches and newspaper articles concerning the suffrage movement.

Women’s Center program coordinator Sarah Jenkins said Snyder’s additions to the novel helps readers understand it at a different level than they would without it.

She also said the book has transformed in meaning for readers since it was first published.

“In 1909 this woman was doing stuff that was really crazy,” Jenkins said. “A hundred years later, this novel has a really different feel for us.”

Snyder said the book was censored at the time it was published and considered “poisonous” because of the protagonist’s actions. Her edition also contains writings on that censorship.

Snyder will focus on her additions in the book and the historical context during the book party.

“(The book) provides a lot of interesting context in terms of thinking about the period and about women’s roles since it is Women’s History Month,” she said.

Snyder said the theme of making tough choices is evident in Ann Veronica, and that theme has always been present in women’s lives outside of fiction.

“(The novel is) about a woman’s quest for independence, even though that quest gets a little derailed by the end of the novel,” she said. “That’s still a hard decision for her, and she recognizes that she’s making these tough choices, and it’s tough choices that women continue to have to make.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="165a122c-eb9c-11e5-ba8f-83ace0a1a261"}}

Snyder said she hopes participants can learn about the struggle for a balance between personal independence and relationships from Ann Veronica.

Snyder’s edition of Ann Veronica is on sale at Little Professor Book Store.

@alleeexxiiss

ae595714@ohio.edu