City Council President Chris Knisely presides over the meeting in the Council Chambers in the city building Nov. 23. (FILE)

Athens City council to continue Boogie on the Bricks and recycling bin discussions

Athens City Council will host presentation from BigBelly, a recycling and waste management group, and Buckeye Energy Brokers, Inc., a company that aids cities in manage energy needs, at Monday's meeting.

Athens City Council will continue the discussion on street closures for Boogie on the Bricks and host presentations from Bigbelly and Buckeye Energy Brokers, Inc., at Monday night’s meeting.

A representative from Bigbelly, a company that aids organizations to change the ways in which they manage waste and recycling, will host a presentation at the meeting.

Another representative from Buckeye Energy Brokers, Inc., will also be at the meeting to give a presentation to council members on gas aggregation.

Buckeye Energy Brokers, Inc., specializes in helping cities manage their energy needs, according to their website.

Street closures for Boogie on the Bricks, an event July 16 that will feature live music, as well as art and food vendors, will be discussed by council members as well.

Judy Wymer, coordinator of the event, came forward at the March 14 meeting to request street closures of part of West Union Street to Court Street to West State Street.

Wymer requested council close the streets at 6 a.m. on the day of the event — an hour earlier than last year — so that workers will have time to set up.

City council will also continue the discussion on purchasing new recycling bins for residents.

Athens Mayor Steve Patterson announced at council’s March 28 meeting that the city had been selected to receive an $80,000 grant from The Recycling Partnership to go toward the purchase of 3,500 new recycling bins.

The bins, which the city will also spend $250,000 on in addition to the grant, will be larger in size compared to current recycling bins.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="696cc27e-faca-11e5-9d79-33bad4c0fefa"}}

The new, larger bins will be able to accommodate more recyclables, Councilman Kent Butler, D-1st ward, said at the April 4 council meeting. The new bins will also feature lids that will make them more sanitary and appealing, he said. 

@alyseitbe

ap490814@ohio.edu