Athens County Sheriff's Deputies recovered 146 marijuana plants at an Athens rental property Thursday morning.

Athens County Major Crimes Unit seized 146 marijuana plants from Athens home

The unit began its investigation after firemen responding to a fire thought they saw a growing operation in the basement of the house.

The Athens County Major Crimes Unit seized 146 marijuana plants Thursday morning after firefighters responding to a fire observed an apparent growing operation in the basement of an Athens home.

Firefighters from the Chauncey Dover Volunteer Fire Department noticed the alleged marijuana growing operation while responding to a fire at 12905 N. Peach Ridge Rd. Athens County Sheriff's deputies inspected the scene and notified the Athens County Major Crimes Unit, according to a news release from the unit.

The crimes unit obtained a search warrant based on evidence in plain sight. In its search of the scene, the unit recovered 146 marijuana plants in various stages of growth and almost a pound of dried marijuana, according to the news release.

The unit also found grow lights, ventilation systems and scales, according to the news release.

Athens County Sheriff Rodney Smith is not sure whether the alleged growing operation caused the fire, but the electrical work that comes along with growing operations sometimes causes fires and other damage, according to the news release.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="4d0e13ba-f9d2-11e5-90bc-bbef162aa66e"}}

The unit has identified the resident of the house as the suspect of the investigation, and believes the resident fled the area after another person informed him of the smoke coming from his house, according to the news release.

The house is a rental property, according to the news release. Authorities have notified the landlord, and the news release states there is no reason to suspect the landlord knew about the alleged growing operation.

@baileygallion

bg272614@ohio.edu