Ohio right-handed pitcher Tom Colletti pitches during the Ohio vs. Bowling Green game April 10 at Bob Wren Stadium. Ohio lost 4-2. 

Baseball: 'Cats travel to Eastern Kentucky on Tuesday

Fresh off a tough weekend against Ball State, Ohio travels to Eastern Kentucky on Tuesday night.

Usually, scoring 29 runs in a three-game series is a good indication of offensive productivity.

But it’s also a troubling indication when your pitchers allows 43 runs in the same weekend.

That was the case this past week in Muncie, Indiana, were Ohio fell to Ball State in its second Mid-American Conference series this season.

So, as the Bobcats drop to 11-16 (2-4 MAC) this year, their concerns with pitching continue.

When right-hander Jake Miller left Friday night’s game with a 5-3 lead, accurate pitching left with him. Forty runs and a few days later, Ohio has the chance to recover with a one-game matchup at Eastern Kentucky on Tuesday night.

Here are a few notes to take away from the weekend and the season to this point.

Adryan atop the homer list

One of the few positives from the weekend was third baseman John Adryan, who hit his team-high ninth home run of the season Sunday.

Starting all 27 games to this point, Adryan is hitting .302 and has had 12 multi-hit games this season, which is also a team-best.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="b3e0d646-fa9e-11e5-95ab-f7dcb5f66bc7"}}

But one of the best stats for the third baseman is his hits-to-runs ratio. Adryan has scored 28 runs off 35 hits. That’s the best ratio of any Bobcat to start every game. His 24 RBIs also leads the team.

Playing in a pattern

Ohio has lost six of its last nine games, but looking closer at that stretch, each time the team has lost consecutive games, Ohio has won the following game.

Not that baseball is superstitious at all, but the Bobcats have lost their last two games heading into the one-game non-conference matchup with the Colonels.

Inconsistent Colonels

Eastern Kentucky has been just as streaky as Ohio recently. The Colonels won 19-3 on Saturday and, on Sunday, lost 16-2.

Eastern Kentucky is 13-15, which is slightly better than Ohio's record.

Daniel McFarland is hitting .422 this season as a center fielder, although he didn’t play this past weekend against Morehead State.

Third baseman Mandy Alvarez has a .371 batting average and eight home runs.

@charliehatch_

gh181212@ohio.edu