Ohio University sophomore outfielder Mitch Longo, left, high-fives red shirt senior catcher Kyle Dean, right, to congratulate him on his run. The Bobcats defeated the Broncos 7-5 on Saturday, March 28, 2015, in Athens, Ohio. 

Baseball: Ohio hosts Buffalo; Longo finds success leading off

The Bobcats are seeking their first MAC series win of the season.

Mitch Longo leads Ohio in several offensive categories and, as a junior, is looked upon as a leader to his teammates. 

This Friday, for the fifth-straight game, Longo will be at the forefront of the Bobcats’ batting order as their leadoff hitter. 

Ohio opens its three-game series against Buffalo on Friday at 1 p.m. at Bob Wren Stadium. The Bobcats and Bulls also are scheduled to play at 3 p.m. on Saturday and 1 p.m. on Sunday, but weather conditions may alter those times. 

Longo, who typically bats third, has been a consistently potent offensive weapon this season. In 27 starts, he leads the team in batting average (.348), is third in doubles (8) and second in runs scored (24). 

“Just trying to mix it up and see if we can get a little more out of our offense,” coach Rob Smith said. 

Smith cited Longo’s team-best on-base percentage (.449) and situational troubles hitting with runners in scoring position as reasons for moving him out of the third spot. 

Since moving to the top of the lineup four games ago, he has been even more productive. He’s 9-for-19, with five RBIs and a .545 on-base percentage in that time. 

Longo’s statistics strongly justify his move to leadoff. 

He rarely strikes out. He draws his fair share of walks. And he’s tied for the team lead in hits. 

But while most leadoff hitters are conservative at the plate, meaning they take pitches to allow other hitters to get a feel for the pitcher, Longo said his approach hasn’t changed. 

“For the most part, I’m up there looking for a pitch to drive,” Longo said. “Whether it’s the first pitch or the eighth pitch.” 

What has changed is that Longo is seeing more fastballs as a leadoff than he did as a three-hitter. He’s also getting pitched on the inner half of the plate more, which he has had to adjust to. 

As for which spot in the lineup Longo prefers, he hasn’t given it much thought. 

“I’ve always been a three-hole guy,” he said. “But the more and more I’m in (leadoff), it’s really not that much different.” 

Entering its third Mid-American Conference series of the season, Ohio isn’t far off the pace it set this time last year. 

Just like last season, the Bobcats (12-16, 2-4 MAC) have lost their first two MAC weekend sets and hold an overall record hovering around .500. 

Another parallel to last season? Facing Buffalo (9-15, 3-3 MAC) in early April for Ohio's third conference series. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="2872ecd0-f9ee-11e5-9a7f-a796aa2c5124"}}

Last season’s sweep of the Bulls put the Bobcats on a path to a strong winning record both overall and in conference play. 

“To expect to go out and sweep Buffalo again, I think that’s a little bit of a challenge,” Smith said. “But we started off 2-4 in conference play and really got it going after that, so I’m hoping we see similar results.” 

@JordanHorrobin 

jh950614@ohio.edu