Ohio infielder Ty Black slides in safe while stealing second base during the Ohio vs. Bowling Green game on April 10, 2015. Ohio lost 4-2. 

Baseball: Ohio picks up rare weekday win against Eastern Kentucky

Ohio (12-16, 2-4 in the MAC) took down Eastern Kentucky in a non-conference matchup on Tuesday night.

It’s no secret Ohio has struggled so far this season.

Midweek games have been an especially sore spot for the team this season. The Bobcats (12-16, 2-4 MAC) regularly play non-conference matchups on Tuesdays or Wednesdays to break up their weekend series against Mid-American Conference opponents. Before last night, the Bobcats had one midweek win, a 4-1 victory over Marshall.

Tuesday night, Ohio picked up a rare midweek win, earning a 10-4 victory over Ohio Valley Conference opponent Eastern Kentucky.

YO, ADRYAN!

Third baseman John Adryan tallied his team-leading 27th RBI with a three-RBI performance against the Colonels. Adryan had a double and two sacrifice flies on the evening.

Before Tuesday, he stood at fifth in the MAC in RBIs and also first in the conference in home runs (nine).

A FRESH START

Michael Klein started his first game for the Bobcats this season, working just over four innings. Despite only working in relief previously and struggling early in the season, he pitched fairly well against Eastern Kentucky.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="d9d3f0ca-fb5e-11e5-995f-e32589391c98"}}

Of the four runs he allowed, only two of them were earned. Klein struck out five and walked three on the evening. Reliever Tom Colletti earned the win.

FRESHMAN PHENOM

First basemen Rudy Rott continued his torrid pace into his collegiate career, recording three hits. In the freshman's five at-bats, he had two doubles, a walk and a single. He also crossed the plate three times.

Before Tuesday, he was fourth on the team in batting average with a .317 clip.

NEXT UP

Ohio returns to Bob Wren Stadium this weekend to host conference opponent Buffalo (9-15, 3-3 in the MAC). The Bulls hold a slight lead over the Bobcats in the East division, and this weekend’s game could be critical for Ohio if it wants to make an eventual run to Avon and the MAC Tournament.

@efelderstein14

ef684013@ohio.edu