Ohio junior Logan Jacik gave up six runs in the 12-6 loss on Tuesday against Alabama State. 

Baseball: Ohio plates 15 in rout of Morehead State

A five-run first inning paved the way to an offensive burst and blowout win of Morehead State. 

The cliche usually goes: “It’s not how you start, it’s how you finish.”

But for Ohio (17-19, 5-7 Mid-American Conference), it was all about how Tuesday's game started.

The Bobcats plated five runs in the first inning, chasing Morehead State’s (21-17) starting pitcher from the game after just two-thirds of an inning and establishing an offensive tone that led them to a 15-3 win.

Even though Morehead State was 48 hours removed from a 26-run outing, it was Ohio’s offense that was on full display.

“To get off offensively like that was big,” coach Rob Smith said. “We’ve played a lot of games from behind and it just changes the complexion of things. We jumped out early and that really put a lot of pressure on (Morehead State’s) offense.”

In the fifth inning, the Bobcats plated seven runners including a bases-loaded walk to Manny De Jesus and then a bases-loaded RBI double from Rudy Rott.

Ohio had 22 hits, its most since March 5 against Wofford. Its 15 runs were also the most since March 5.

“Every time we go up there we’re trying to work a good at-bat and compete against the pitcher," Rott said. "It doesn’t matter if we’re up for the first time or we’re up for the third time. We’re just trying to win pitches and get a base hit.”

With a solid cushion on the mound, starting pitcher Michael Klein sailed through five innings without a hitch. He allowed one hit and struck out two.

Klein admitted that he was able to settle down and relax after his team put up five runs in the first inning

“I know in a lot of midweek games we’ve been giving up a lot of runs,” he said. “We’ve been playing from behind. With the five-run cushion I had, I could throw it right at the hitters.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="8225f732-0663-11e6-9be2-bbd9f912dc3e"}}

After last night’s drubbing, Ohio will host Kent State, arguably the most talented team in the conference.

Despite what seems to be a poor conference record, the Bobcats have an opportunity to make up some major ground in the East Division. If they sweep the Golden Flashes this weekend, they’d cut the deficit in the standings to just one game.

According to Klein, the blowout over Morehead State was an important stepping stone.

“To kind of embarrass a team a little,” he said. “It feels good. Especially because things haven’t been going our way lately. Hopefully, this is the start to something good.”

@efelderstein14

ef684013@ohio.edu