Police officers walk by a house filled with Palmer Fest partygoers April 9th, 2016. 

Between the Lines: Students braved Palmer Fest with onesies, 'beer tubes'

Bobcats made the trek to Palmer Fest despite cold temperatures 

There’s something special about the atmosphere surrounding a weekend fest.

In the early hours of a fest, the average Athens resident can see a group of students carrying a bottle of orange juice while wearing their designated fest jersey apparel making their way down Court Street. Usually, the sunlight stretching its arms out to students pumps serotonin into their veins, prompting them to crawl out of bed earlier than they would wake up for their 8:30 a.m. class.

But, for Palmer Fest, the inviting sunlight was scarce, hidden beneath flurries of snow and temperatures in the low 30s.

That didn’t stop the always adventurous Bobcats from making the trek toward the street marked with the green and white "Palmer" street sign shaking from the vibrations of techno music around the corner.

As a reporter for The Post, I stuck out like a sore thumb in my pea coat, clutching my notepad and pen while the rest of my peers wore jerseys and pajama onesies while running around with an American flag.

Nonetheless, if you were at the chilly Palmer Fest this past weekend, there’s a big chance that you witnessed me or six other reporters asking questions about the fest.

“What’s the craziest thing you’ve seen so far?” and “Why are you out while it’s cold and snowing?” were some of the most common questions we asked.

If you tolerated our odd questions, thank you. Here’s a glimpse into the sights and sounds we saw, but didn’t publish.

One student found a creative way to carry his beer around Palmer Fest.

He called it a “beer tube,” and it was tubes he bought from Amazon filled with his roommates' beer, and slung over his back for the fest.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="8c61edc6-fec7-11e5-890d-4bbd8bf64bcc"}}

One fest goer kept warm by wearing onesie pajamas, blowing bubbles during the fest and saying “(The bubbles) make us happy.”

Other onesies seen throughout the street included a cow, a panda bear, a regular bear and of course a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle.

One student relied on a stuffed Finn doll from the show Adventure Time to keep him safe during the fest, keeping him on his back because “(Finn is) always watching my back.”

“I feel like they leave him in the house so much. He wants to get out,” the student said. “He wants to enjoy OU like the rest of us. So why not bring him out? You know it’s time for him to shine.”

Palmer Fest was the last street fest of the season. As always, it was an entertaining one. Thanks Bobcats, and we’ll have the same questions next year.

@Fair3Julia

Jf311013@ohio.edu