The F-Word Performers pose for a photo. The collaborative performance art group will be performing a variety art show called “Disclaimer: We Might Disappoint” Saturday.

Emotional performance looks to 'disappoint' its audience

The F-Word Performers, a performance art group, will share its personal experiences through different mediums such as poetry and songs.

The F-Word Performers are ready to share its disappointments.

Members of the collaborative performance art group will share their personal experiences about their insecurities and will speak about topics, such as letting go and nostalgia, at a show Saturday at Galbreath Chapel.

The variety art show is called “Disclaimer: We Might Disappoint” and focuses on warnings and insecurities.

The F-Word Performers, which was formed more than seven years ago as F-Word Ladies, organizes at least one event per semester in which students can hear others’ stories and engage in discourse about personal issues and experiences, Hannah Trew, a junior studying communication studies, said.

“We’re hoping to make an impact on our audience,” Trew said. “We want to make them question and start conversations. We want to move them.”

The variety show will feature 13 pieces that the group has been practicing for months, Jasper Wirtshafter, the president of the F-Word Performers, said.

“It’s a very collaborative process where we end up with a really highly processed show,” Wirtshafter said. “And we fit it into some kind of a narrative even though it’s a variety show. It’s meant to be pretty emotionally intense.”

Nina Smith, a sophomore studying biochemistry, will speak at the show and said the environment of the show can be tense yet safe.

“It helps people connect on a personal level, especially with how open we are,” Smith said. “And it helps talk about things, get things off your chest, have an outlet instead of just working out or trying to ignore everything. Putting everything down on paper really does help.”

The F-Word Performers will discuss topics such as abuse, expectations, nostalgia and letting go, Smith said.

“The goal always, for me, is empathy,” Wirtshafter said. “I think by people sharing their really personal stories, it helps them feel more normal and helps the audience relate to them and feel more normal themselves.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a8984f14-fc59-11e5-8e94-47121599ce27"}}

The event will be at Galbreath Chapel, which is a different and larger venue than the CREATE_Space in Putnam Hall, where the group usually performs, Wirtshafter said.

After the show is finished, the audience is invited to discuss the performances and their own experiences in the basement of Galbreath Chapel, Smith said.  

“We want to start making conversation,” Trew said. “We want to make them question, and we want to start discussing different subjects maybe they themselves have never been able to discuss before, or have a safe space to discuss. That’s what we want our shows to be — a safe space for anybody that comes to discuss the topics that maybe they’ve never had a place to discuss them.”

@jess_hillyeah

jh240314@ohio.edu