Luke O'Roark

From The Sports Desk: Sports coverage is important to us and our readers

Thank you, sports and readers, for the past 13 months. 

It's been fun Bobcat fans. 

First, it's been a pleasure to provide you — yes, you the reader — extensive coverage of Ohio Athletics for the past 13 months. 

Ohio visited the NCAA Tournament. A player earned AP national honors. A team had to say goodbye to a set of players that shifted its culture. The Athletic department worked at a surplus last year

But there's something more about what we do here at The Post

Sports coverage from our newsroom, and from every newsroom around the country, is essential to our society. But please, don't roll your eyes yet. 

Sports are a reflection of individual values we have held on to for generations. It's why cliches in sports are so damn common. 

There's a sense of comfort when heading to The Convo for a basketball game or to Pruitt Field for a field hockey game. 

No matter what personal struggles you and your loved ones are going through, you can expect sports to be there every calendar year.

And the individual values to why we care about bruising, 230-pound people in padding destroy their bodies like modern gladiators is different for everyone. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="b7f7baa2-0718-11e6-a577-8f96c69e947b"}}

Some look at sports as a hobby. Others, as a job. Some may look at it as a continuation of greed that corrupts our societal tenants. Some may look at it as a way of improving one's socio-economic status. 

Some may say, "S---, it's just fun to watch." 

Wherever you, the reader, lies on this spectrum of "why sports are important to society", it's also important to remember why sports reporting is so vital today. And will continue to be for years to come.

Here at The Post, our sports department prides itself on passionately, relentlessly seeking truth and reporting on valuable stories. 

Through sports, we have learned lessons of humility, of preservation, of handling loss — common humanistic themes, regardless if you care about the final score of a baseball game.

As the Spring Semester comes to a close and a new era of Post editors bring their ambitions, ideologies and expectations to our newsroom, the past year has brought a variety of lessons, memories and hardships.

Our reporters are still learning about sports, athletes, data mining, lede writing and learning about themselves. 

I'm also still learning and never want to stop learning. 

So, thank you for the reads and patience. And if you know people on our staff, thank them for their tireless work reporting on Ohio Athletics. 

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@ohio.edu