OU President Roderick McDavis speaks at the Student Senate meeting Oct. 7, 2015. 

Gabby Bacha tells senate goodbye

Ohio University Student Senate passed resolutions, presented awards and swore new members into office Wednesday night.

Gabby Bacha ended her term as president of Ohio University Student Senate on Wednesday by passing the gavel to former senate treasurer Hannah Clouser.

Bacha’s final president’s report and farewell speech included a few tips for future members of the body.

“When you’re elected to this body, you’re trusted by the students to do a good job and directly represent them and their interests at Ohio University,” Bacha said. “In all my experience at OU, I’ve found that the people who do not stay humble in their roles are the people that fail.”

The former senate president also listed some lessons she learned while serving as a member of Student Senate throughout her college career.

“One thing is that when it gets bad, remember it won’t matter five years from now,” she said. “I would also say take a chance on yourself. You never know where you’re going to go with student leadership. Have fun.”

Also at Wednesday night’s meeting, senate passed a resolution to support the use of “The Buzz” news application in addition to the existing Bobcat Readership Program. The app will provide USA Today articles to OU students on their mobile devices, replacing the print copies of the paper currently offered for free in Baker Center and Alden Library.

Senate also presented Senator Emeritus and Senior Honors awards to several members of the body.

Near the end of the meeting, Clouser, Steve Lichtenfels and Courteney Muhl were sworn into their new positions as senate executives.

Clouser said students should expect to hear from them next year.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="e04b8682-7122-11e5-9989-bf518d92deea"}}

After a few tearful goodbyes and dozens of photos, senate members enjoyed cake in the Walter Hall Rotunda to celebrate a year as student representatives.

“It’s bittersweet,” Jared Ohnsman, former senate vice president, said.

Bacha echoed his sentiment and added that no longer being senate president was a strange feeling.  

“I know I’m leaving it in really good hands, but it’s really hard not to do it anymore,” she said. “It’s kind of like a kid. It’s weird, but I feel like people who were in this position will understand.”

@mayganbeeler

mb076912@ohio.edu