Sophie Kruse

Gamer Girl: Trivia, puzzle games are fun and good for your brain

Columnist Sophie Kruse writes about her favorite trivia, word and number game apps.

Maybe I’m just a nerd, but I love apps and games that make me use my brain. From trivia to word games, I get really addicted quickly and they become the games I always return to. They’re good for your mind, are a good time killer and allow you to relax.

Lately, I’ve been obsessed with the New York Times' crossword puzzle app. Though it does have a monthly fee, it’s worth it if you enjoy a challenging crossword every day and don’t mind supporting the newspaper. Surprisingly, the crossword transfers well into the smartphone medium — it’s easy to fill in answers, scroll through hints and check your progress. You get access to the mini crossword every day, along with years of archives. There’s also a hint function, which is great if you’re a crossword newbie and are struggling with some of the trickier hints.

If you’re a Jeopardy! fan, make sure you check out J!6, which is found on its website. Every single day you can play an extra, unused question from the categories that were featured on the show. You can choose six to count in your score (which adds up and you can play against others online) and play the remaining six just for fun. The questions tend to be a little easier than the ones on the show — but that’s mainly because they’re multiple choice.

If you like playing against other people, you have to download Stop. The game is kind of like the old board Scattergories. You will get five categories per round and a letter. You have to think of an answer for each category with the letter as quickly as you can and try to “stop” the timer before the minute is up. Then your opponent only has as much time as you used.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="1381536a-f5da-11e5-aee5-df57d188fa87"}}

QuizUp is another trivia game. In that one, you can pick your own category and answer questions that fall into it. There are so many categories, so the app can get really fun to play with others. My favorite category is Harry Potter. The social element makes it fun, but it’s also fun to see how much you know.

If you’re a numbers fan, download a Sudoku app. It’s great for playing when waiting for class to start, when binging on Netflix or when you’re just trying to waste some time.

Sophie Kruse is a senior studying journalism. What is your favorite trivia app? Email her as sk139011@ohio.edu.