Andrew Gillis

Here's a look at 5 of the most notable twins who have played professional sports

Ohio football has its own set of twins joining its roster.

With Ohio’s own set of twins occupying the sidelines for the next few seasons, Adam and Ryan Luehrman bring a new look to the Bobcats.

They aren't the only set of twins to play a sport together, however.

Twins have held a place in sports for decades, creating interesting storylines along the way.

Here’s a look at some of the most notable twins that have played professional sports together and are equal in terms of abilities, stats and contributions.

5: Brook and Robin Lopez

The two NBA big men were taken 10th and 15th in the 2008 NBA Draft, respectively. Brook has seen the majority of the spotlight, playing his entire career with the New Jersey/Brooklyn Nets.

Robin, on the other hand, has battled injuries for the majority of his career, averaging eight points per game — 10 points below Brook’s career average.

However, their continued success for eight years now is more than enough to put them on this list.

4: Mike and Maurkice Pouncey

The twins are offensive lineman in the NFL, with Mike playing for the Miami Dolphins and Maurkice playing for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Both first-round draft picks, going 15th and 18th in the 2011 and 2010 drafts, respectively, they both have carved out niches on the line as some of the best offensive linemen in football.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="fead94f2-fb34-11e5-a362-27e63ddadfa8"}}

3. Rob and Rex Ryan

The twin brothers have made a name for themselves in the media as some of the more outlandish coaches/brothers in sports.

The first non-athletes to make the list, they qualify due to their history of NFL success.

Sons of renowned defensive pioneer Buddy Ryan, Rex has coached the New York Jets and now the Buffalo Bills, where his more portly brother Rob will join him this upcoming season.

The family has a knack for defense, coaching some of the best defenses in the NFL while under their leadership.

2: Ronde and Tiki Barber

The first retirees on the list were the greatest twin tandem in the NFL before retiring but stayed in media circulation as broadcasters and analysts. They qualify due to their past but also due to their current status in the NFL landscape.

Ronde, known as a quiet worker for his time in Tampa Bay, intercepted 47 passes in his 16 seasons playing for the Buccaneers. A Super Bowl champion, he earned Pro Bowl honors five times in his career, including his selection to the NFL’s 2000s All Decade Team.

Tiki, the more outspoken of the two, played running back for 10 seasons as a member of the New York Giants. He was selected to three Pro Bowls but didn’t capture a Super Bowl during his tenure. Rushing for more than 10,000 yards in his career, he’s known as one of the best running backs in Giants history.

1: Henrik and Daniel Sedin

The best set of twins on the list, the Swedish-born players were drafted second and third in the 1999 NHL Draft by the Vancouver Canucks, respectively. 

Henrik, a center, has been flanked by his brother, Daniel, a left wing, for their entire careers.

Henrik has slightly more hardware, taking home the Hart Memorial Trophy as the league’s MVP in 2010, though both have played in three All-Star Games.

They’ve yet to win a Stanley Cup, though, and although their best days are behind them, it’d be an oversight to hold the two, still incredibly productive, twins off the list.

@AGill072

ag079513@ohio.edu