Casa Nueva Restaurant and Cantina

Local bands to perform at Casa Nueva for Brick City Showcase

Casa Nueva hosts Brick City 2015-2016 Showcase will feature extended plays from the Crooked Spines, Space Buns Forever and Slackluster.

The audience will be able to jam out in a whirlpool of psychedelic surf rock as Casa Nueva hosts yet another night of exclusive music performances.

The local record label Brick City will feature bands Crooked Spines, Slackluster and Space Buns Forever at 9 p.m. Thursday during the Brick City 2015-2016 Showcase.

The performances will have extended plays from the Crooked Spines and Slackluster. There also will be a double-sided single by Space Buns Forever.

Brick City is a student-run record label operating under the School of Media Arts and Studies. The organization produces, distributes and showcases music releases by students, as well as locals.

According to Meghan Bass, president of Brick City, the bands have been playing in and around Athens for quite some time. The collaborations made with Brick City record is aimed to provide the musicians a stepping stone into the world of music production, she said.

“We just have so many enthusiastic students,” Bass, a senior studying entrepreneurship and music production and recording industry, said. “People who want to get involved and we are trying to find new roles for students so that they can get this experience.”

Ellyn Loss, a senior studying music management who is also the business supervisor of Brick City record label, said the show is a culmination of everyone’s efforts throughout the academic year.

Megan Fair, whose stage name is Space Buns Forever, will be the opening performance.

“(Space Buns Forever) is going to leave us weeping,” Bass said. “She writes music that sounds like diary entries.”

Crooked Spines will follow. The band is an offshoot of the bands Blond and Gaptooth Grin. Loss described Crooked Spines’ performance as a plunge into psychedelic surf rock that takes you back to the ’70s.

“I am very excited to watch them live,” Seth Canan, a freshman studying music production, said. “I, personally, think (Crooked Spines) is the love child of Ben Kweller and The Decemberists.”

Slackluster will close the night with a combination of “grudge, gritty and grunge,” according to Loss. The band is comprised of both students as well as Athens residents.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="dcaf5050-f5ff-11e5-848c-5b1dfd983251"}}

T-shirts will be on sale for $20 each, the proceeds of which will be donated to the Stuart’s Opera House After School Music Program. The T-shirt is designed by local artist Chris Monday.

“(Monday) is an amazing artist,” Loss said. “He has a really specific style that is cohesive with our brand.”

Canan said events like Brick City Showcase allow college students to explore their talents.

“If you are watching live music, you are going to have a good time,” Canan said. “But it equally helps the musicians in terms of putting themselves out there and getting the experience.”

@bharbi97

bh136715@ohio.edu