Ohio forward Wadly Mompremier goes up for a point against Western Michigan guard Kellen McCormick on Jan. 19. (FILE)

Men's Basketball: Ohio adds Culver, Mompremier returns to roster

Rodney Culver, a flex position player, joins the Bobcats and Mompremier returns to the team. 

Ohio's 2016-17 campaign is months away, but its roster is already intact. 

Earlier this week, Ohio coach Saul Phillips added incoming freshman Rodney Culver to the roster. Culver joins early-signee, Jason Carter, to make up the Bobcats 2016-17 recruiting class. The two are flex position players and could make an immediate impact.

Culver will most likely fill the final spot on Ohio's roster after forward Wadly Mompremier decided to return to the Bobcats earlier last week or if last year's Mid-American Conference Player of the Year, Antonio Campbell, opts out of the 2016 NBA Draft

Culver, a Columbus native, spent last season at Elev8 Sports Institute in Delray Beach, Florida, averaging 20 points, seven rebounds and four assists.

Listed at 6-foot-5, 190 pounds, Culver adds depth to the shooting guard position for the Bobcats. Phillips said last season he wanted more depth at the wing and, with Culver, he may have gotten some. 

"During our two-year relationship with Rodney, he continuously displayed the type of athleticism and skill that we were looking for in this class," Phillips said." His length and quickness allow him to affect the game on both ends of the floor."

As for Mompremier, he was released from the program earlier in April, citing a chance to play closer to his hometown of Miami, Florida. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="27d29f36-00c5-11e6-a573-b37017fc6b6b"}}

But after a tweet from ESPN's Jeff Goodman suggested that Mompremier opted out from transferring, Phillips and Mompremier agreed for the 6-foot-10 forward to return. 

Mompremier averaged three points, two rebounds and a block in 30 games during Ohio's 2015-16 season. 

He and Culver currently fill the final two of Ohio's 13 scholarship spots, unless Campbell decides to go pro by May 25. 

@Lukeoroark

lr514812@ohio.edu